Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

PolyDup

Recommended Posts

PolyDup

(I am open for suggestion for a suitable name, as well as for icon, images, ...)

 

Description:

PolyDup is a tool plugin which allows to easily select part of a mesh and replace polygon(s) of the mesh with a duplicate of this part. The concept is the same as with PolyGnome, where you can replace polygon(s) of a mesh with predefined asset objects, allowing to construct meshes from parts. The difference with PolyDup is that you do not need to create asset objects. The selected part of the mesh will represent the asset. With this you will be able to easily duplicate parts of a mesh, without the need to model it more than once.

 

Status:

The plugin is still in its design phase.

It will reuse the modelling engine from PolyGnome, so that part is basically available as is and will only need fine tuning for the new purpose of this plugin.

While PolyGnome was a command (= "single-shot" action), this new PolyDup plugin will be a multiple action tool.

 

Development of the plugin will be in Cinema4D R20 (Windows) and ported to other releases of Cinema4D, both Windows and macOS.

 

Estimated Release Date:

unknown

 

Supported Cinema4D releases and platforms:

R16-R21

Windows, macOS

 

Price:

to be defined

 

 

Latest Beta (R20, R21 for Windows and macOS): <file removed>

 

 

A short video description of the plugin:

 

 

 

 

View full record

 

Share this post


Link to post

RepliGON maybe :oregonian_winesmiley:

 

Nice idea Daniel. Do you mean something on mesh level only (simple copy of polyisland on another place of existing mesh/hole based on the same edge loop etc. or some procedural setup? Something like cloner, but with less setings for adjusting? (copy some polyislands in linear/array mode)

Share this post


Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • On 1/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, bezo said:

    Do you mean something on mesh level only (simple copy of polyisland on another place of existing mesh/hole based on the same edge loop etc. or some procedural setup? Something like cloner, but with less setings for adjusting? (copy some polyislands in linear/array mode)

     

    Yes, it will be on mesh level only. You select "source" polygons on a mesh and select "target" polygons on that same (or other) mesh to replicate the source polygons to.

    Not procedural, not cloner-like.

    Although, this procedural/cloner-like thing might be an idea for a different plugin: where you specify source and target polygons, and changes applied to the source (like move, rotate, scale, extrude, ...) gets also applied to the target ones. That might be a nice idea, but quite more complex to implement.

    Share this post


    Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • Here is a first rough concept.

     

    Currently the concept tool uses already existing polygon selections as source and target.

    In final version the idea is to create your polygon selections with the same tool which you use to designate source and targets.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post

    polyselections as source "presets"?

    Share this post


    Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, bezo said:

    polyselections as source "presets"?

    What do you mean by that?

    The idea I had was to use the tool to select a set of polygons to be copied. The you could select polygons on the same mesh, or other mesh, to paste the copied polygons to. But I would go further, and allow to "store" more than one source. You could copy and store up to 5 sources, and paste any of them on any mesh. I wouldn't go futher than this, otherwise I would just be copying the PolyGnome plugin.

    This PolyDup plugin (while using the idea behind PolyGnome) is just meant to quickly select polygons and copy them. So, the user wouldn't have to bother with the steps to create assets (or presets) from these selected polygons. Just select polygons, use the tool to indicate these are the source, select other polygons and indicate these are the targets ... and the source gets copied to the targets.

    Share this post


    Link to post

    Daniel, thats quite interesting concept. I like it very much! Keep on making it better!


    | MAXON Quality Assurance Specialist | 3D Asset Creator | C4D Cafe Manager |

    Share this post


    Link to post
    18 hours ago, C4DS said:

    What do you mean by that?

    The idea I had was to use the tool to select a set of polygons to be copied. The you could select polygons on the same mesh, or other mesh, to paste the copied polygons to. But I would go further, and allow to "store" more than one source. You could copy and store up to 5 sources, and paste any of them on any mesh. I wouldn't go futher than this, otherwise I would just be copying the PolyGnome plugin.

    This PolyDup plugin (while using the idea behind PolyGnome) is just meant to quickly select polygons and copy them. So, the user wouldn't have to bother with the steps to create assets (or presets) from these selected polygons. Just select polygons, use the tool to indicate these are the source, select other polygons and indicate these are the targets ... and the source gets copied to the targets.

     

    ...yes, with polyselections as presets I was meant "stored" parts of mesh for later use in selection sets tags.

    Share this post


    Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, Igor said:

    Daniel, thats quite interesting concept. I like it very much! Keep on making it better!

    Thanks for the interest.

     

    1 hour ago, bezo said:

     

    ...yes, with polyselections as presets I was meant "stored" parts of mesh for later use in selection sets tags.

    Ok, then we're on the same page 👍

    Share this post


    Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • First beta version of the plugin is available. Currently only for Cinema4D R20, running on Windows.

    Short "tutorial" showing the current state of the plugin:

     

    EDIT:

    The uploaded beta and link to the video have been removed here, and added at the bottom of the first post.

     

     

    Please provide feedback ...

    Share this post


    Link to post

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...