Sign in to follow this  
C4DS

PolyDup

Hi Daniel,

Just little question. I just tried your plugin inside R20Demo and don´t know if it´s c4d demo restriction or by plugin, but when I follow your steps, with moving mouse over mesh for copy there is not full line over edge and when click Ctrl and left click, I see transparent line over mesh for copy, but another selections for paste are deselected...

And mesage from console

------

PolyDup - failed to extract the part of the mesh
PolyDup - failed to write the extract file: D:\CG2\MAXON R20 Demo\plugins\PolyDup\Extracts\extract.c4d

-------

Ahh, now I see...

Since it´s demo of c4d, there´s not allowed to write to any file, Ok, solved...

I´ll try in commercial R20 version, but just another question. Is posible to rotate copied mesh to destination place? Or there is some rule for placing copied mesh?

37 minutes ago, bezo said:

with moving mouse over mesh for copy there is not full line over edge and when click Ctrl and left click, I see transparent line over mesh for copy, but another selections for paste are deselected...

Since it´s demo of c4d, there´s not allowed to write to any file, Ok, solved...

Is posible to rotate copied mesh to destination place? Or there is some rule for placing copied mesh?

Thanks for the feedback and questions.

For your first point I would like to ask for some screenshot, as I am not exactly following what you mean.

Concerning writing of the files I have no idea if this is a limitation of the demo version of C4D. It is also possible some windows settings prevent for writing in that particular location. It would be useful to find out what the cause is. And that is the reason I provide the demo for anyone to try out, providing me feedback in return in order to fix such issue if there is one.

As shown and mentioned in the video, the plugin will try to rotate the pasted polygons as to orient them according to your target selection.

With PolyGnome you had to manually provide the rotation before welding the asset into the destination mesh. With PolyDup the orientation is calculated.

Yes, demo restriction was the reason why plugin don´t work correctly. Just tried in standard version R20. Works as expected, coping mesh into external file and adding to new selection. What is nice, not needed to create target selection first, simply switching with space button between selection and plugin works nice.

Also addition red points in case of non-correct selection for placement is great. (in this case is created copy of source mesh on original place what looks like a bug). It can be simply solved by creating correct selection for placement.

I had few crashes after this workflow...

- added plane, converted to poly

- created source polymesh for copy

- With Ctrl stored

- with space switched to selection tool and selected correct selection for placement

- with space switched to plugin and placed copy of source polymesh into selection

//all fine until now

- while is still selected plugin as tool, removed plane from OM

- inserted new plane and converted to poly

- c4d crash

First I think it´s caused by adding plugin into interface  (as icon in left palette), but try this also with standard using of plugin (selecting from plugin menu when use it) and get crash also...

1 hour ago, bezo said:

Yes, demo restriction was the reason why plugin don´t work correctly.

Good to know.

1 hour ago, bezo said:

What is nice, not needed to create target selection first, simply switching with space button between selection and plugin works nice.

I agree this is a welcome benefit of the native Cinema4D workflow.

I had foreseen to provide some selection tools within the PolyDup tool (loop, fill, ...) but as these are already natively available I haven't been focusing on them just yet. And maybe I won't at all, as it seems a waste of time to implement what is already available.

1 hour ago, bezo said:

Also addition red points in case of non-correct selection for placement is great. (in this case is created copy of source mesh on original place what looks like a bug).

The console mentions "different point count is not yet implemented". As such, I haven't spend time trying to block this just yet. Implementation will be expanded in future beta(s) ...

1 hour ago, bezo said:

I had few crashes after this workflow...

- inserted new plane and converted to poly

- c4d crash

I have only been able to reproduce this when I use the shortcut key "c" while the mouse pointer is inside the viewport.

If I use the mouse pointer to select the "make editable" icon then all is fine.

I will provide a fix for this in a next beta.

Thanks for taking the time to test and report. It is much appreciated!

Yes, the most important thing I didn´t mentioned. :wallhead:

(never used icon from interface to convert primitives to polygons)

I have updated the plugin, fixing the few reported issues. In the meantime I have also created an R21 version of the plugin, and ported to macOS.

New beta is available for download at the bottom of the first post of this thread. Looking forward to more feedback.

Tested in R21 and work just fine. Could be posible "respect" size of source polymesh depending on size of target polymesh with some option?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92oc92v5kwqxa8m/polydup_autoscale.mp4?dl=0

(or after placement of source polymesh on target switch to polygonsslect all of source mesh polygons (what we currently have) and adjust axis of selection to bottom of placement (what allow user to save few clicks to adjust manually)

33 minutes ago, bezo said:

Could be posible "respect" size of source polymesh depending on size of target polymesh with some option?

Scaling can be enabled in the Attribute Manager.

Option "Scale when pasting" (3rd checkbox).

I know, the current options are a mess. As this plugin is still a work in progress, the Attribute Manager options are not yet nicely organized.

Ahh, my mistake.

Totaly OT, but for you as programmer I have one question. I can not find logic which way are calculated axis of selections.

Here is small video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fki49eopw0ik42n/axis of selection.mp4?dl=0

if these "calculations" are used internaly in other tools (bevel inner for examle), it can not be source of another problems? 

32 minutes ago, bezo said:

Totaly OT, but for you as programmer I have one question. I can not find logic which way are calculated axis of selections.

This is something you might better ask to the MAXON developers, as only they know what the logic is behind their implementation.

But from looking at your examples you can deduct that when multiple polygons are selected, the axis orientation of the object is used. At least when the orientation option you select in Modeling Axis is set to "Axis".

When you only select a single polygon, then the selection Z axis usually is the normal of the polygon, and the selection Y axis usually tries to point into the plane of the original object's Y axis and the polygon's normal. Then from these two vectors (selection Z and Y axis) its X axis is calculated.

I am not sure if this is how it's done, but that is how I interpret what happens in the video you provided.