Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Cerbera

Checking the New Build...

Recommended Posts

Over Xmas, Santa and the gods of 3D told me it was time for a PC upgrade, and me , only knowing vaguely what I am doing in that area, thought I should run my planned new system by you guys for some basic C&C before I go buy stuff and get building...

 

My main focus is modelling, but I do need a bit of a render boost too, and plan to be entering the world of GPU rendering with Redshift, so I figure I need a machine with pretty decent graphics power, but not necessarily top-end as I am also on a low-medium budget for this - wanna spend around £2.5K including OS and a new 27 inch screen if I can.  But also want some decent general C4D single thread improvements if I can get them without going too mental budget-wise for in-app performance, and a reasonable amount of CPU cores for when I want to test the native renderers.

 

In addition to Cinema this will also be an Audio / Video Workstation running DaVinci Resolve and Steinberg's Cubase 10 and a sh*tload of (mainly orchestral) virtual instruments and plugins.

 

Currently I am planning this Win 10 system, which seems to give me most of what I want for not too many of the $$$...

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core (3.8GHz standard, 4.7GHz Boost)

Cooler: Wraith Prism Fan cooling (shipped with processor, to be upgraded in Summer if needed)

 

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro AMD AM4 X570 Chipset ATX

PSU: Gigabyte GP-G750H 750W 80 plus (free with MB!)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Black Full Tower

 

RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Dual Channel Memory (RAM) Kit (x 2)

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2070 8GB

 

Audio-MIDI I/O: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 (external USB), Genelec, KRK.

 

Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB Solid State Drive/SSD (system drive) + WD Blue 2TB 3.5"

 

So, if those of you that know would be kind enough to cast a critical eye over that and let me know about any awaiting traps, or anything that might not work with something else, or what else I could consider, I would very much appreciate your input.

 

Muchly thankings

 

CBR

 

Share this post


Link to post

Good build! Consider getting even better PSU, it might be needed given the components and other possible energy eaters such as case fans etc

Share this post


Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Hrvoje said:

    Consider getting even better PSU

    Cheers, Hrvoje.  I think that might be a good call given the amount of Hard Drives (4 total, 2 from current machine) and power-hungry USB devices that are going to be in there. 

     

    CBR

    Share this post


    Link to post

    Great choice, almost identical to what i just built, with the exception of 850W PSU , RTX-2080 super, Bequiet 801 case and ASUS  X570 mother board.

    All i can advise is disconnect the HDD before loading the OS.😆

    Share this post


    Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

    All i can advise is disconnect the HDD before loading the OS.😆

    Lols - Yes I was aware of that little trapdoor, but thanks for the warning... I would also have gone for the 2080 Super, but had to split the cash between that and some pro audio gear 😉 I'll have to live with my slightly slower renders !

     

    CBR

    Share this post


    Link to post

    That psu is more than enough. The cpu will top out at 200watts, as will the gpu. The power draw of harddrives, fans and ssds is negligible. At full tilt you would struggle to draw 500 watts, so 750 is ample.

    Theres no reason to pick a slow 2.5" SSD, choose a much faster M.2 nvme drive.

    Share this post


    Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • 32 minutes ago, imashination said:

    Theres no reason to pick a slow 2.5" SSD, choose a much faster M.2 nvme drive.

     

    Oh good catch - I hadn't spotted that was a slow 2.5 incher ! Will replace and update in spec.

     

    CBR

    Share this post


    Link to post
    22 hours ago, Cerbera said:

    Over Xmas, Santa and the gods of 3D told me it was time for a PC upgrade, and me , only knowing vaguely what I am doing in that area, thought I should run my planned new system by you guys for some basic C&C before I go buy stuff and get building...

     

    My main focus is modelling, but I do need a bit of a render boost too, and plan to be entering the world of GPU rendering with Redshift, so I figure I need a machine with pretty decent graphics power, but not necessarily top-end as I am also on a low-medium budget for this - wanna spend around £2.5K including OS and a new 27 inch screen if I can.  But also want some decent general C4D single thread improvements if I can get them without going too mental budget-wise for in-app performance, and a reasonable amount of CPU cores for when I want to test the native renderers.

     

    In addition to Cinema this will also be an Audio / Video Workstation running DaVinci Resolve and Steinberg's Cubase 10 and a sh*tload of (mainly orchestral) virtual instruments and plugins.

     

    Currently I am planning this Win 10 system, which seems to give me most of what I want for not too many of the $$$...

     

    CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core (3.8GHz standard, 4.7GHz Boost)

    Cooler: Wraith Prism Fan cooling (shipped with processor, to be upgraded in Summer if needed)

     

    MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro AMD AM4 X570 Chipset ATX

    PSU: Gigabyte GP-G750H 750W 80 plus (free with MB!)

    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Black Full Tower

     

    RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Dual Channel Memory (RAM) Kit (x 2)

    GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2070 8GB

     

    Audio-MIDI I/O: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 (external USB), Genelec, KRK.

     

    Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB Solid State Drive/SSD (system drive) + WD Blue 2TB 3.5"

     

    So, if those of you that know would be kind enough to cast a critical eye over that and let me know about any awaiting traps, or anything that might not work with something else, or what else I could consider, I would very much appreciate your input.

     

    Muchly thankings

     

    CBR

     

    Nice Setup

     

    I got almost the same 

     

    I am running R9 3900X

    Stock Prims Cooler

     

    X570 Pro Mobo from Asus

    32GB DDR4 3200Mhz on Two lanes so 2x 16 GB

     

    RTX 2080 Super ( However i want to add another GPU like 1080TI for gaming so i don't lose productivity )

     

    2TB SSHD Barracuda 

    1TB M2 Corsair 

    PSU SuperFlower 850W

    Now i am wondering shall i chunk another 2 lanes of 32 GB or no. Sometimes when i model it hits like 59% utilisation on ram 

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post

    If you have a sh*tload of virtual instruments (sampled based I assume) you might consider a larger SSD, Or an extra 2TB SSD to replace the HDD, and put your samples on there.

    I have just replaced my 500GB SSD in the laptop with a Crucial 2TB to hold all sample libraries, which I "less than occasionally" use to create video backgrounds ... have about 1.2 TB of VIs. I know, in my case it's a waste of the space, since I maybe use the VIs once a year ... if not less (figure of speech).

    Share this post


    Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • That's a good point there @C4DS - thank you for making it ! I agree, it would make a lot more sense if all the VSTs were loading their wavs and samples from SSD too. OK then, looks like this might be SSD all the way in terms of new drives ! Now just gotta sort out which interfaces those are best running from...

     

    CBR

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    Latest Topics

    Latest Comments

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...