Sign in to follow this  
dswerd

Help cleaning extruded spline geometry

Hey there,

I'm trying to make a basic flag animation using the wind deformer on an extruded spline. I've looked around everywhere and I can't seem to smooth out the geometry. I'm trying to do it without a subdivision surface because I want the edges to stay sharp but even with a subdivision surface it still looks jagged. The polygons are more noticeable on the left side of the flag. I've set the caps to quadrangles and set a regular grid but that doesn't do anything. Any help would be appreciated

Use simple plane object instead of playing with splines...

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

@bezo I would but it's a logo so I'm trying to keep it as consistent as possible

After conversion to polygons adjust points of plane object to your needs. Do the same what do extrude object for you with spline...

Or if you want to keep spline, for extrude object change caps parameters and adjust intermediate points of spline to create nice looking surface.

I´m not currently at my PC, but there are options in caps tab for creating nice quad polygons and with together adjusting intermediate points of spline you get nice mesh, just try it...

Admin

Play animation and voila! 🙂 

WindyFlag.c4d

8 hours ago, dswerd said:

I want the edges to stay sharp but even with a subdivision surface it still looks jagged.

If you use OpenSubDiv SDS boundaries in Edge + corner mode, you can have SDS AND your straight corners 😉

image.thumb.png.8d9ad6d6a1efbc6e496984fccc20604d.png

If you put the wind deformer in a Null with the SDS then you can put that under a cloth surface to add a small amount of thickness.

The hierarchy would look like this... 

image.png.f12c0cf95e670fd5bbd542f0ecf8ebe3.png

CBR