Sign in to follow this  
Drlittle

Splitting a sweep object

I need help with a basic question. I can’t figure out how to split a sweep object into two separate objects 

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to Correct Section

Make a copy of sweep object and in one remove first half of points and in second  object remove second half of points (in splines ofcourse) If are used beveled caps, little offset in corner points needed...

Or, if you want to keep things as 2 separate sweeps, then just split the spline into 2 objects instead. You would do this by just copying the spline, and deleting half its points, doing the same to the other one with the other half of its points and another sweep object.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

I am an academic plastic surgeon trying to teach students about what we do.  Obviously im a novice.  I would be happy to compensate someone to assist me.

It's really difficult to know where to start with this. You are beginning with something relatively complex for a beginner, and if you skipped over the several months it takes to learn the basics of polygon modelling, for which there are lots of rules and techniques, you will find yourself constantly running into problem after problem... alas you cannot learn this software overnight.

I am not certain what you are trying to achieve here. I can see your circular boole, which is currently doing what you've asked it to - cutting through that one object. If you need to cut through the veiny things and whatnot as well, then you need to use a Connect object to make Cinema treat them and the underlying surface as a single object, which the boole can then work with. But you shouldn't expect perfect results from a Boole, even one that is set up 100% correctly, especially if you are animating the cutout - that is a famously flakey technique for doing this sort of thing, although sometimes it is the only option. The success of it or not relies heavily on what the underlying topology is doing. I am afraid a lot of the topology in this scene is verging on dreadful, but actually the boole components aren't too bad, and are quite quick to rescue...

CBR

You should know that booles require solid meshes with closed caps, so there can't be any open mesh in any component of your boole, even with a connect object. So all your sweep objects need to have the option 'create single object' ticked in their options for the boole to have any chance of working at all.

But with that done, there is still a chance it won't work all together. In that case you need duplicate boole setups, one doing the skin, and another doing everything else, and you can copy the Operand B cylinder into the new boole as well, as long as you remember to animate both of them identically, if animation is your goal... 

It might be worth trying this via the Volume Builder instead - the results, whilst very high poly, are often more acceptable and more free of artefacts than what a boolean can produce.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thank you.  I figured it out.  Does anyone know of someone who would be willing to help with some issues via remote login/ webex?  Im happy to compensate.