Telumire

Cut a spline at regular intervals (dash)

Hello everyone, is it possible to cut an existing spline at regular interval to create dashes ?

I tried to use a cloner to clone a cube along the spline and use a boole to cut the spline with the clones but boole doesnt work on splines. 

I need it to be a spline because I want to use a cloner on the resulting dashes.

Thanks!

Loads of ways to do this, but nothing automatic. You don't say if it's a curved or straight dotted line you need, so I'll assume the former...

Just clone a single 'dash' with a straight helix spline in regular iterate mode in the right direction ! Or better still, just draw a segment of the right length for a dash with the spline pen tool, and clone that instead.

Next, when you are happy with the spacing you set in the cloner, do Current State to Object on it to get a copy, then combine all the splines in the null that creates with Connect Objects and Delete to give you a single spline with all the cloned segments...

Settings shown below for the first bit of that...

image.thumb.png.f7068a4a85c3ef7cebb3da76da97ef6f.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for your help  Cerbera ! Sorry, I forgot to include a pic of the spline (as you guessed it, it's a curve) : image.thumb.png.d42eeed2a96caf6d79302f84ab008d18.png

Your solution is clever but I need the "dashes" to be curved. Now, if there isnt any way to use curves to cut other curves, then I guess the only way to do that is to manually split the curve ..Thanks again for your help !

Lols - you're lucky - I was one step ahead of you - also made a curved setup as well 🙂

For that we need more points in our dashed lines (think I used 8 or so), so that the dashes can follow a curved path. For this I used Spline wrap.

image.thumb.png.fd0ef9e0845efe3d9e99979fc8655487.png

So, we still clone in a straight line like we did above, but then we spline wrap that whole cloner along the original path, and tweak the various settings until we have the right amount of them and it all fits. Here's a scene file, which will help you understand this better.

Dash line on curve CBR.c4d

The Setup Null shows how I made this, but the editable copy of the result is the second spline under the sweep object which we can easily use to turn the dashed line into physical geometry if we want...

Hope that helps

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yes, that's it ! Thanks a lot ! 😄

You're welcome 🙂

Happy splinings !

CBR