The end of MSA

• Silver Contributor

This is the email I received from UK distributor just before my MSA expired.

I'm going to upgrade the perpetual rather than switch over to subscription (well, if I have the cash saved by then).

There's a discounted 1 year and 2 year subscription if you convert your R21 perpetual.

image.thumb.png.0ff47d29e087ea95aa14fe15bb8145f7.png

My MSA was just about up so I tried calling sales and no one called me back. I emailed sales and was told I could get a discount on a subscription with or without Redshift. The discount wasn't too bad (~$150) though pales in comparison to how much I got screwed over after they switched to subscription a few months after I paid for an MSA. I have no idea if I kept my perpetual or not. It was never made clear to me or even brought up. I can tell you R21 still works for me thankfully.

What strikes  me is the lack of clarity regarding the cost of a perpetual upgrade. The MAXON people on this forum claim it will cost as much as a regular non-MSA upgrade but nowhere on the MAXON website is this information available, distributors do not seem to know either, which fuels the anger and concerns of the perpetual license holders community. 

4 hours ago, Adrien said:

What strikes  me is the lack of clarity regarding the cost of a perpetual upgrade. The MAXON people on this forum claim it will cost as much as a regular non-MSA upgrade but nowhere on the MAXON website is this information available, distributors do not seem to know either, which fuels the anger and concerns of the perpetual license holders community. 

We don't have a price for an upgrade that doesn't exist yet.   We will make the price list for the next release as we get closer to that release.   However, I have posted multiple times and place that it will be inline with this years non MSA price point which is 850 Euros (different price in different currencies).  There really honestly is no confusion here.  A reseller can't offer you a price for a product that isn't for sale.

Cheers

Dave

Clear David! I’m sure you would actually get more subscriptions if the upgrade price was on the site. It’s just easier to compare options and make an informed decision. 
Anyway thanks for your clarifications as always. 

15 hours ago, hobbyist said:

This is the email I received from UK distributor just before my MSA expired.

I'm going to upgrade the perpetual rather than switch over to subscription (well, if I have the cash saved by then).

There's a discounted 1 year and 2 year subscription if you convert your R21 perpetual.

image.thumb.png.0ff47d29e087ea95aa14fe15bb8145f7.png

Thanks, I received the same info. There’s nothing about keeping perpetual and getting a subscription at reduced cost, that David McGavran referred to. Hopefully he can respond.

17 hours ago, shadd said:

My MSA was just about up so I tried calling sales and no one called me back. I emailed sales and was told I could get a discount on a subscription with or without Redshift. The discount wasn't too bad (~$150) though pales in comparison to how much I got screwed over after they switched to subscription a few months after I paid for an MSA. I have no idea if I kept my perpetual or not. It was never made clear to me or even brought up. I can tell you R21 still works for me thankfully.

Pretty confident that the last MSA renewals were for perpetual licenses if you paid for them at the standard cost.  Using the letter from Hobbyist as a guide, if you switched over to a subscription at a discount, then I am not sure.  

But you know you can figure out which licenses you have on your own.  Open up R21 or S22 and go to Help --> License Manager --> Licenses.   You will see a tab called "Available Licenses" which should list your perpetual and subscription licenses.  While they do not necessarily call them out as "perpetual" or "subscription", you should see:

For subscription: "{date purchase} - {one year from date purchased}"

For perpetual:  "{date purchased} - unlimited (R21)"

Dave