Sign in to follow this  
bbuxton

The end of MSA

Hi Dave,

I do hear your feedback.   

Cheers

Dave

On 1/20/2020 at 6:28 PM, DMcGavran said:

Please just call :). The 2 year offer requires you transition to subscription.  We have other offers where you keep your perpetual and you can add a subscription at a reduced cost.  We aren't going to list all options here but happy to go through them all on phone 🙂

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, sorry to revive an old thread but I have a question. 

Could you elaborate on the offer where I can keep perpetual and add a subscription at reduced cost?

My MSA is due to end soon, I've spoken to UK customer services a couple of times and I didn't have that option.

Many Thanks

Marco

4 hours ago, MarcoD said:

Could you elaborate on the offer where I can keep perpetual and add a subscription at reduced cost?

Can you elaborate a bit more on this?  Is it even a real option or something you heard on the forum as a proposal?

Also, are you referring to both perpetual and subscription within the same Release number?  Not sure why you would pay for R21 perpetual and then go out an pay for S21 subscription?  If it is just to get access to Cineversity, I would imagine that paying them directly rather than purchasing S21 would be the better option.

Is it that you have R21 but want early access to S22?  Honestly, I would wait and/or purchase monthly for the S22 features you really need when you need them until R22 comes out (most likely only 4 months away).

I am always interested in what MAXON may or may not allow in moving between subscription and perpetual and vice versa, so please share the details of an any offer you may have heard in this area.

Dave

Here are prices from my local distributor (google translator used to translate czech/english). Something similar you can expect across Europe I think...

(VAT in my case is 20 percent)

https://translate.google.sk/translate?hl=sk&tab=wT&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fobchod.digitalmedia.cz%2Feshop%2Fkatalog.aspx%3Fkat%3Dmxc4d

My MSA is also at the end of life btw...

God, i know i’m repeating what’s already been said elsewhere. But it’s really expensive. 

Actually I’d be happy to pay top-dollar if i thought i was getting the best Product out there. But when you consider that you really need to pay separately for a decent render engine and decent particle system ON TOP, you really have to ask if c4d is what you should spend your money on going forward.

I will add myself to the growing line of non-upgraders this year. 

I would be interested in knowing the breakdown of individuals compared to companies buying licences though. Reading these forums it sometimes feels like the majority of posters are freelancers/independents. You would assume the buyers in most larger commercial environments don’t really care about using their company software 10 years later, and would prefer the simpler subscription model for their yearly budget requests.

2 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Can you elaborate a bit more on this?  Is it even a real option or something you heard on the forum as a proposal?

Hi, sorry the question was aimed at Dave McGavran. The quote in my post was from one of his, which included

'We have other offers where you keep your perpetual and you can add a subscription at a reduced cost.'

I'm keen to keep my perpetual R21, rather than lose it if I go subscription. And if i can do that at a reduced cost all the better.

This is the email I received from UK distributor just before my MSA expired.

I'm going to upgrade the perpetual rather than switch over to subscription (well, if I have the cash saved by then).

There's a discounted 1 year and 2 year subscription if you convert your R21 perpetual.

image.thumb.png.0ff47d29e087ea95aa14fe15bb8145f7.png

My MSA was just about up so I tried calling sales and no one called me back. I emailed sales and was told I could get a discount on a subscription with or without Redshift. The discount wasn't too bad (~$150) though pales in comparison to how much I got screwed over after they switched to subscription a few months after I paid for an MSA. I have no idea if I kept my perpetual or not. It was never made clear to me or even brought up. I can tell you R21 still works for me thankfully.

What strikes  me is the lack of clarity regarding the cost of a perpetual upgrade. The MAXON people on this forum claim it will cost as much as a regular non-MSA upgrade but nowhere on the MAXON website is this information available, distributors do not seem to know either, which fuels the anger and concerns of the perpetual license holders community. 

4 hours ago, Adrien said:

What strikes  me is the lack of clarity regarding the cost of a perpetual upgrade. The MAXON people on this forum claim it will cost as much as a regular non-MSA upgrade but nowhere on the MAXON website is this information available, distributors do not seem to know either, which fuels the anger and concerns of the perpetual license holders community. 

We don't have a price for an upgrade that doesn't exist yet.   We will make the price list for the next release as we get closer to that release.   However, I have posted multiple times and place that it will be inline with this years non MSA price point which is 850 Euros (different price in different currencies).  There really honestly is no confusion here.  A reseller can't offer you a price for a product that isn't for sale.

Cheers

Dave