Sign in to follow this  
ChazAllen

The Fundamentals of Learning 3D

Question

I’ve been interested in 3D for quite some time now. Particularly dynamics and particle based effects.  My question is mainly about learning what it takes to actually create a design. Not just use software. Does anyone have any experience learning 3D coming from no art or graphic background ?

I understand color theory , lighting , composition etc. is all key to creating 3D works. I’m just curious what that initial process of understanding design Elements in creating 3D scenes looks like and perhaps where to begin building that foundation. 

Any info greatly appreciated 

5 answers to this question

It sounds like you just need to jump in to making imagery with 3D...  Hopefully MAXON Cinema4D.       We like to say that artistic ability is an inborn gift,  but that's not altogether true:   there are many,  many artistic ideas that you can grasp just from reading and studying about them.

So I say:   go dive in to studying both art theory while you learn the technical aspects of doing 3D...  They go hand-in-hand.

There's that saying by L'ao-Tsu:   "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."    I suggest that,  every day,   you make a 3D render,  however simple and humble it may be,   in which you try to learn one or more artistic principles.

You are lucky in that the Internet now provides you will loads and loads of instructional material,  in the form of free instructional videos.

Bear in mind that learning a software as deep and complex as Cinema4D will take some time.   As in:   years.

So the only task left is to jump into the swimming pool and get wet.

As Ras says, a lot of design sensibility is intrinsic and personal, but there are things to be learned, like the history of art, and general design helpers like the Golden Ratio, concepts like negative space, the Rule of 3rds etc etc. But just as there are Youtube and Vimeo videos that cover nearly all technical and practical uses of Cinema, there are also videos on the basic 'rules' of design, and there are a lot of them !

Here's an interesting one to get you going...

But while you are learning all this stuff, it remains more important that you dive in there, and start making what looks good to you and beginning to define the things you like, and the things make your work and style unique to you. 

Do short, achievable projects, and lots of them, and share your works in progress - other people can be very helpful in letting you know what you could do better, or where to focus your learnings next...

CBR

21 hours ago, ChazAllen said:

Does anyone have any experience learning 3D coming from no art or graphic background ?

Yes, you don't have to have either. When you say 3D you have to define what exactly that means 🙂

Since you mentioned particles and dynamics, those revolve around relatively simple concepts where you will have to think in terms of events, conditions, logic...

• Inquirer
  • Also , and I know I’m jumping the gun, is there genuine opportunity for employment with these skills ?

Obviously after a lot of work , but are these skills viable in the current market for someone who may want to transition into this type of career field ?

Thanks a ton for the current feedback!