Sign in to follow this  
zhook

Paper folding

Hello all, I'm a package designer and from now I need to visualize my package design by myself. I decided to use C4D and have learned a little. But now I get a task, I can't deal with. There are a few packages I should fold using a paper list. And I should be able to animate it's folding. But I can't find a way to do this. I tried FoldMyDesign, but it didn't fold right. I'm thinking of using bones, but I'm not sure. Can you help me, please? There is an image of how should it look when folding and polygons I have made to fold it.

Thank you!

IMG_20200120_133946.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

package_001.c4d

Here is an example with joints/bones as you suggested. I re-modeled a slice of the shape, rigged it and cloned the result. The subdivision generators are just there to create a bit of smoothing. But there are other ways of doing that (e.g. weighting on high res and using deformers with a restriction tag). 

The animation is on the joints and could probably use a bit of love to look more plausible. 

package_002.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Thanks a lot for your reply!

On the one hand, it looks really cool. But on the other hand, it's incorrect. I mean it behaves not like the folding paper, but more like something more elastic. The distance between points on the edge of shape changes. It definitely becomes smaller. It looks like you are well versed in this matter. Can you teach me, please?

2.jpg

1.jpg

It might also be possible to automate that with constraints or Xpresso. But for a one time application / rig it is probably easier to eyeball it. That's what I meant by "more plausible". 

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Havealot said:

It might also be possible to automate that with constraints or Xpresso. But for a one time application / rig it is probably easier to eyeball it. That's what I meant by "more plausible". 

I'm new to it and I didn't have a deal with Xpresso yet. But I will.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. Do you think you could give me a lesson or two by skype, for example? Or make a video tutorial? I'm looking for someone who can help me with my questions, like this one. For some reward, of course.

I just want to learn how to do it well.

2 hours ago, zhook said:

Anyway, thanks for your advice. Do you think you could give me a lesson or two by skype, for example? Or make a video tutorial? I'm looking for someone who can help me with my questions, like this one. For some reward, of course.

I just want to learn how to do it well.

I do 1-1 skype tuition if that helps. Please see my profile and PM me for details...

Many thanks

CBR