Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
MikeMac

Extruded object reveal

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone...

I'm trying to animate a logo build and am having some difficulty with what I suspect is a very simple process. I have a logo that is an Illustrator file and I have no problem importing it into C4D and working with the individual pieces. I want each part of the logo to reveal along a path while extruded the whole time (see my very simple demo animation). I've been exploring Spline Mask and can make this work for some of the simpler shapes, but for some of the more complex shapes (think horseshoe shape) I'm having a very hard time getting any kind of smooth motion without weird spikes arising from probably not enough keyframes in my point level animation. My process was to create a closed spline around the horseshoe shape and create a bunch of keyframes expanding the spline shape to reveal the horseshoe element by way of Spline Mask.

This seems like a pretty common need and a pretty convoluted process. Am I going about this all wrong? Is there any way to reveal extruded splines in a manner similar to my demo file?

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Sharing that Spline would be of much help for those who can help you. So if you can, please share a file! 🙂


| MAXON Quality Assurance Specialist | 3D Asset Creator | C4D Cafe Manager |

Share this post


Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • 58 minutes ago, Igor said:

    Sharing that Spline would be of much help for those who can help you. So if you can, please share a file! 🙂

     

    Ok, here it is boiled down to one section that does what i want, plus the spline I want to animate in similar fashion.

    Big R_0001.c4d

    Share this post


    Link to post

    WHat about using Sweep instead of Extrude and Spline Masks? You can esly animate Sweep to get the same effect you want, at least if I am getting right your idea! To animate Sweep generator just look at Attribute Manager and try altering Start & End growth!

    Big R_0002.c4d


    | MAXON Quality Assurance Specialist | 3D Asset Creator | C4D Cafe Manager |

    Share this post


    Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • 11 minutes ago, Igor said:

    WHat about using Sweep instead of Extrude and Spline Masks? You can esly animate Sweep to get the same effect you want, at least if I am getting right your idea! To animate Sweep generator just look at Attribute Manager and try altering Start & End growth!

    Big R_0002.c4d 200.65 kB · 0 downloads

    Thank you for this, that is exactly what I was hoping for! I had a feeling my technique wasn't the right one for this.  I've been using C4D for years, but only occasionally and my knowledge base is pretty spotty and I basically have to relearn it every time. Thanks!

    Share this post


    Link to post

    You are most welcome. If you separate those Splines then you can alter them one by one choosing timings that suits you etc. Try and see how it goes. Dont forget to share results! :cowboypistol:


    | MAXON Quality Assurance Specialist | 3D Asset Creator | C4D Cafe Manager |

    Share this post


    Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • 48 minutes ago, Igor said:

    You are most welcome. If you separate those Splines then you can alter them one by one choosing timings that suits you etc. Try and see how it goes. Dont forget to share results! :cowboypistol:

    Actually now that I'm digging in to how you did it I'm not sure this will work for me. You have the horseshoe-shaped piece as single unclosed spline, but in my source file it is an outline of the whole shape, a closed spline. Did you modify the spline I provided or is there some C4D function that does that? 

    Share this post


    Link to post

    I created one path Spline and then addad another Cubic splinle to follow that path. You can create any kind of shapre to follow a spline.


    | MAXON Quality Assurance Specialist | 3D Asset Creator | C4D Cafe Manager |

    Share this post


    Link to post
  • Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, Igor said:

    I created one path Spline and then addad another Cubic splinle to follow that path. You can create any kind of shapre to follow a spline.

    Got it, thanks again. 

    Share this post


    Link to post

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...