Sign in to follow this  
Grizzy

Upgrade

So i have a dilemma 

I got a decent board that allows me to to host 2 GPUS 

I got 2080S and was wondering. Should i get 1080TI as my card for Gaming etc and leave 2080 in High priority for octane ? 

does anyone has some sort of similar setup ? 

In case anyone asks i also got 32 GB ram ( will get another pair so in total i have 64) 

I got 850W Super flower PSU ( obviously will need to get 1000W if i upgrade ) 

Why do you think it matters what's in high priority? As long as you're not rendering while playing it doesn't matter if you play on  the 2080 Super or the 1080TI except the 2080 Super has way better performance.

Just use the 2080 Super for gaming. If I were you I wouldn't get a 1080 anymore though as the RTX cores can speed up Octane significantly ever since they integrated RTX support.

Hi,

Forget GTX 1080 Ti, because Octane, Redshift, and other GPU render engines already have support for RTX cores, which can speed up rendering a lot, so just stick to your RTX 2080 Super cards, which are also faster in gaming then 1080 Ti.

Dane

22 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

Why do you think it matters what's in high priority? As long as you're not rendering while playing it doesn't matter if you play on  the 2080 Super or the 1080TI except the 2080 Super has way better performance.

Just use the 2080 Super for gaming. If I were you I wouldn't get a 1080 anymore though as the RTX cores can speed up Octane significantly ever since they integrated RTX support.

Ideally i want additional card so i can play games while render is in progress. so Octane would use 2080S my feed and other things i do would be out trough 2nd card probably then 2070S. 

main question is what would be best setup for this. as i know Andrei Lebow has 4 or 3 2070 and 1 separate for gaming or what ever he does on spare time 

21 hours ago, danijelk said:

Hi,

Forget GTX 1080 Ti, because Octane, Redshift, and other GPU render engines already have support for RTX cores, which can speed up rendering a lot, so just stick to your RTX 2080 Super cards, which are also faster in gaming then 1080 Ti.

Dane

Hey 

sorry if i didn't made myself clear

I already got 2080S 

all i want to know is it worth to set that 2080 as dedicated card for octane and istall the mentioned 1080TI for gaming so when ever i render octane is using it's own card for that 

I don't think you can really game when rendering. It's GPU rendering yes, but for ever frame preparation and other stuff the CPU is still in use. Just render a still that takes a while or an animation and look at the CPU / Memory usage. You'll see what I mean.

I might be wrong though, I only have a single 1070 and I always render when I go to bed or leave the house.

Hi,

About cpu, yes, Octane, Redshift and other GPU render engines are using cpu for some tasks, while cards are rendering, so your cpu is utilized in some %.

But you can check only RTX 2080 Super in Octane settings (uncheck other card), and Octane will use/render on only RTX 2080 S.

You can try to see how gaming+rendering will work, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Dane

19 hours ago, danijelk said:

Hi,

About cpu, yes, Octane, Redshift and other GPU render engines are using cpu for some tasks, while cards are rendering, so your cpu is utilized in some %.

But you can check only RTX 2080 Super in Octane settings (uncheck other card), and Octane will use/render on only RTX 2080 S.

You can try to see how gaming+rendering will work, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Dane

I have checked my daring when i render

My Ryzen9 is at 17% +- 5 % i mainly render stills 

Thanks. 

Will nag my friend 2070 for a trial run 

19 hours ago, DasFrodo said:

I don't think you can really game when rendering. It's GPU rendering yes, but for ever frame preparation and other stuff the CPU is still in use. Just render a still that takes a while or an animation and look at the CPU / Memory usage. You'll see what I mean.

I might be wrong though, I only have a single 1070 and I always render when I go to bed or leave the house.

Yeah i get what you mean 

i render stills and average is from 25min -2 hours 

Majority of the usage happens when i create stuff

when rendering kicks in the usage is fairly normal 

i got another set of 32GB sticks coming next week so there is deffo plenty of ram . 

CPU should be able to handle to as i got Ryzen9

I guess only thing to do is test