Sign in to follow this  
AngelThMan

Dissolve/Morph Material

I'm trying to dissolve or morph the material or UV mapping and can't seem to do it. I morphed two simple objects from the same sphere. I created a sphere and copied it, then distorted the second sphere. I morphed them using pose morph. That worked fine. But I have no idea how to also morph the material. The shape is supposed to change shape and color/texture. I want the texture to change through a dissolve and not a gradient reveal. I would appreciate your help or to be pointed to a tutorial. Thanks!

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the response. This would work, but I'm new to C4D and I'm not sure what you did. I opened the project but couldn't exactly tell. Can you describe what you did? Thanks!

All the action is taking place inside the color channel of the material, which contains a layer shader.

Inside that are 3 layers, the green one, the red one, and between them a mask driven by Noise.

There are keyframes on the parameter 'Low clip' which is what transitions the noise from being all black (fully transparent) to all white (fully opaque), revealing the green color. The type, scaling and other settings of the Noise used governs the overall character of the dissolve. The keyframe interpolation / f-curve settings control the speed of the dissolve over its duration.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Is that for color, or can it also dissolve texture?

You can do that with anything in pretty much any channel that supports shaders. What wouldn't work for example is the roughness value in the tranpsarency channel, as you can't load any shaders / textures in, just a flat value.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:19 PM, Cerbera said:

All the action is taking place inside the color channel of the material, which contains a layer shader.

Inside that are 3 layers, the green one, the red one, and between them a mask driven by Noise.

There are keyframes on the parameter 'Low clip' which is what transitions the noise from being all black (fully transparent) to all white (fully opaque), revealing the green color. The type, scaling and other settings of the Noise used governs the overall character of the dissolve. The keyframe interpolation / f-curve settings control the speed of the dissolve over its duration.

CBR

Beat me to it 😅