Sign in to follow this  
masbass

Drill bit modelling (sweep along helix)

Hi all, I'm a C4d noob trying to model a drill bit by sweeping a rectangle along a helix spline and although it starts sweeping fine, the rectangle soon kinda rotates around itself instead of having smooth rotations parallel to the center cylinder. Tried changing every parameter I could think of to stop this rotation but can't find a solution. What am I missing? Thanks.

drill-bit.png

drill.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Did everything that was done in that video EXCEPT working at the XZ axis for the helix and instead of spreading that rotation all along the sweep it was doing a sudden twist in two opposite edges. It looks great now! Thanks!

Hi,

You can also use Twist deformer, other way to make objects/shapes like that.

Dane

See the attached scene file. I've enabled "Use Rail Direction" in the sweep. And created a duplicate of the helix to use as a Rail spline (controls the direction of the sweep).

drill 01.c4d

Here's .c4d file with some examples using twist deformer.

Cheers, Dane

example_c4d.c4d

I think arguably the nicest looking drills come from the subtraction of a circular helix from a cylinder.

In the examples below, that can be achieved either via the Volume Builder or with regular boolean operations.

In fact, due the almost knife-like sharpness required on the cutting surface, this is one of those very rare circumstances where it is both faster and better to make this via those methods rather than with poly or SDS modelling.

image.thumb.png.f17ff6938ff77d62e26a9948f9469be8.png

Left is the setup, middle is Volume Builder / Mesher, right is a boole subtraction.

CBR