Sign in to follow this  
Bixmox

First 3d model - feedback?

Hi, I just completed my first 3d model, which is a grenade, what do you think and what should I do better next time?

image.thumb.png.785bbdc29c8380526f3b5050af856999.png

Well done on your first model created in C4D.   For us to offer some feedback we need to see the wires of the model as to see its construction.  Its also a good idea to post the reference image your where using to create something.  The (n) key will pop up some shading options (b) is the one we need to see.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Well done on your first model created in C4D.   For us to offer some feedback we need to see the wires of the model as to see its construction.  Its also a good idea to post the reference image your where using to create something.  The (n) key will pop up some shading options (b) is the one we need to see.

Dan

Alright, ill upload the project file as well!

Something weird happened with the object "top part" so I couldn't bevel it for nurms, I probably just did something and didn't realize. Hopefully it will be better the next time I try!

image.thumb.png.ee9781ae935a6186633c5a0956cac3eb.png

0a03e03510a4775411aaf1656f6d896e--m-grenade-grenades.jpg

M67.c4d

Not bad a for a first go... Some bits are fine, others less so.

The main body is not bad at all, nice, evenly distributed, mostly evenly sized squares, which is what subdivision surfaces require...

Things go a little wrong in the top part though. Here it looks like we don't have any actual thickness, and the triangles are a) unnecessary, and b) what is breaking any subdivision you may try and do afterwards. Triangles are somewhat tolerable (though it is entirely possible to model this without any) in a hard surface model, but if SDS is going to be involved there should be 0 tris in the mesh - ie it should be 100% quads.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Not bad a for a first go... Some bits are fine, others less so.

The main body is not bad at all, nice, evenly distributed, mostly evenly sized squares, which is what subdivision surfaces require...

Things go a little wrong in the top part though. Here it looks like we don't have any actual thickness, and the triangles are a) unnecessary, and b) what is breaking any subdivision you may try and do afterwards. Triangles are somewhat tolerable (though it is entirely possible to model this without any) in a hard surface model, but if SDS is going to be involved there should be 0 tris in the mesh - ie it should be 100% quads.

CBR

Do you have any "guide" recommendations or like course recommendations?

Yes. I do 1-1 modelling lessons over skype (either project specific or a modular approach) if that is any help (pls PM me if interested in that) but there are literally hundreds of tutorials that cover modelling.

In the absence of the ones by cafe staff (which are still looking for a permanent online home) 2 of the best ones are Contrafibbularites (C4D) and Arrimus 3D (3DS Max / Blender), both of whom have Youtube channels and hundreds of modelling videos. Don't discount the ones that are not in native Cinema 4D. The techniques are largely global and can be applied in any decent modelling software.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 45 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yes. I do 1-1 modelling lessons over skype (either project specific or a modular approach) if that is any help (pls PM me if interested in that) but there are literally hundreds of tutorials that cover modelling.

In the absence of the ones by cafe staff (which are still looking for a permanent online home) 2 of the best ones are Contrafibbularites (C4D) and Arrimus 3D (3DS Max / Blender), both of whom have Youtube channels and hundreds of modelling videos. Don't discount the ones that are not in native Cinema 4D. The techniques are largely global and can be applied in any decent modelling software.

CBR

I am guessing that you charge a lot for these lessons?

13 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

I am guessing that you charge a lot for these lessons?

Well it's all relative 😉 I am £60 per hour, whether I am modelling or teaching, which is cheaper than lawyers, dentists and accountants ! 

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Well it's all relative 😉 I am £60 per hour, which is cheaper than lawyers, dentists and accountants ! 

CBR

You must be teaching some kind of witchcraft at that price 😂

7 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

You must be teaching some kind of witchcraft at that price 😂

Actually that is comparatively cheap compared to other 1-1 dedicated, customised -to-individual-student' type lessons in any equivalently technical skill. I am teaching skills that have taken 20 years to acquire. In a single 4 hour session with me I can shortcut you through the first 6 months of watching endless videos picking up little bits here and there. With that, and practise, it is enough information on which to base a career, and when viewed like that starts to look like better value. But hey - no pressure from me - I'm not here with a sales pitch - there are thousands of paths into 3D, and that is merely one of them...

CBR