First 3d model - feedback?

Yes, you are starting way too high poly to model that shape. Try and use the minimum amount of polys necessary to describe the form.

This is what the initial topology for the handle should look like and it got started with a single planar polygon drawn with the polygon pen in an orthographic view over a reference pic in the right viewport....

image.thumb.png.bfdf02de183057ad11bc9db35e944f8a.png

CBR

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know being a student with a tight budget can suck a bit when it comes to paying for help (I'm a student myself 🙂 ). But if you get the money for a Skype-session with Cerbera, do it :). Had a 2 hour

Well done on your first model created in C4D.   For us to offer some feedback we need to see the wires of the model as to see its construction.  Its also a good idea to post the reference image your w

Yes of course...       CBR Grenade CBR 02.c4d

Posted Images

Just now, Cerbera said:

Yes, you are starting way too high poly to model that shape. Try and use the minimum amount of polys necessary to describe the form.

This is what the initial topology for the handle should look like...

image.thumb.png.bfdf02de183057ad11bc9db35e944f8a.png

CBR

Alright thanks

Here is the sort of base mesh you could make for the body, which I started with a 16 sided cylinder, and extruded / scaled the additional edges to match the reference. Note I have applied SDS here, which is why it appears so nicely curved even though we are working on such a low poly mesh... the point here being to reinforce just how few polys you need to describe this form under subdivision...

image.thumb.png.8d849f8277945997db52be5082a21cb2.png

Notice there is a seam / weld half way down the body, and also notice that I have taken care to align an edge loop exactly with that seam, which will help us later adding that detail in...

CBR

30 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Here is the sort of base mesh you could make for the body, which I started with a 16 sided cylinder, and extruded / scaled the additional edges to match the reference. Note I have applied SDS here, which is why it appears so nicely curved even though we are working on such a low poly mesh... the point here being to reinforce just how few polys you need to describe this form under subdivision...

image.thumb.png.8d849f8277945997db52be5082a21cb2.png

CBR

Thats how I created the body for the recreation as well, I managed to do the top part in a good manner in my opinon but I can't get the splint to work with SDS? 

I used the polygon pen and only created squares, then I extruded the polygons and closed the gap with the "Close polygon hole" command.

After that I used the symmetry modifier and bridged over and then repeating the extrude -> close proccedure on that.

I can definietly tell I am doing something very wrong but I am not sure exactly what.

image.thumb.png.a34ec135f1cc03419a3e23729d5a45a5.png

New M67.c4d

10 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

I managed to do the top part in a good manner in my opinon but I can't get the splint to work with SDS? 

No, you added thickness too early, didn't place any control loops, and didn't join the 2 sections of mesh that comprise the handle properly. I don't know which part you mean by the term 'splint'.

The top part of the grenade actually requires a totally different polygonal form to the one you have modelled. There is a big triangular section in the reference that you are currently not acknowledging at all ! Here's what the initial edge flow should look like for that part, which is higher poly than you'd normally start with because of all the smaller details in the form and that triangular section...

image.thumb.png.82f5f48d7c70bb23db9853d2afe9f8ce.png

This should be quite helpful in that it shows you how to divide a triangle into even quads.

CBR

6 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No, you added thickness to early, didn't place any control loops, and didn't join the 2 sections of mesh that comprise the handle properly.

I don't know which part you mean by the term 'splint'.

The top part of the grenade actually requires a totally different polygonal form to the one you have modelled. There is a big triangular section in the reference that you are currently not acknowledging at all ! Here's is what the initial edge flow should look like for that part, which is higher poly than you'd normally start with because of all the smaller details in the form and that triangular section...

This should be quite helpful in that it shows you how to divide a triangle into even quads.

CBR

Thanks again!

By splint I mean the part that flies off when you pull the wire.

Could you elaborate on the part about 2 sections off mesh?

When I created that part I also just created a square and worked on that, I didn't use the polygon pen tool on that, only the splint.

1 minute ago, Bixmox said:

Could you elaborate on the part about 2 sections off mesh?

Yes. You'll notice there was a gap in my polygons for the handle around the corner, so those were 2 separate islands of polys within the same mesh.

image.png.7b74fa2f922157ac03b3d7815aa60d5f.png

That was there because we need to acknowledge the tricky little fold that happens as the handle creases round the corner. That means we can't just bridge those sections in this view and carry on, instead we need to add some further edges, and then work in the perspective view and design that corner edge flow properly... I'm away for a bit now, but will show you this when I get back...

CBR

Just now, Cerbera said:

Yes. You'll notice there was a gap in my polygons for the handle around the corner, so those were 2 separate islands of polys within the same mesh.

image.png.7b74fa2f922157ac03b3d7815aa60d5f.png

That was there because we need to acknowledge the tricky little fold that happens as the handle creases round the corner. That means we can't just bridge those sections in this view and carry on, instead we need to add some further edges, and then work in the perspective view and design that corner edge flow properly... I'm away for a bit now, but will show you this when I get back...

CBR

Alright awesome

21 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No, you added thickness too early, didn't place any control loops, and didn't join the 2 sections of mesh that comprise the handle properly. I don't know which part you mean by the term 'splint'.

The top part of the grenade actually requires a totally different polygonal form to the one you have modelled. There is a big triangular section in the reference that you are currently not acknowledging at all ! Here's what the initial edge flow should look like for that part, which is higher poly than you'd normally start with because of all the smaller details in the form and that triangular section...

image.thumb.png.82f5f48d7c70bb23db9853d2afe9f8ce.png

CBR

I am now back to try the top part again, and now I am stuck on what object you are using? You said that I added thickness to early but when I place a rectangle it already has a mass so what object should I create?

4 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

I am now back to try the top part again, and now I am stuck on what object you are using? You said that I added thickness to early but when I place a rectangle it already has a mass so what object should I create?

You gotta learn the right terms for these things my friend, otherwise we'll be getting crossed wires everywhere 🙂 A 'rectangle' (in C4D context) is a 2D spline and doesn't feature in this scene at all ! You mean a Cube Primitive right ? But I didn't start with that either...

Mine was started with a plane primitive 1 x 1 segments, and I manually cut in the edge flow myself with the knife tools (Line Cut and Loop Cut).

CBR

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You gotta learn the right terms for these things my friend, otherwise we'll be getting crossed wires everywhere 🙂 A 'rectangle' (in C4D context) is a 2D spline and doesn't feature in this scene at all ! You mean a Cube Primitive right ? But I didn't start with that either...

Mine was started with a plane primitive 1 x 1 segments, and I manually cut in the edge flow myself with the knife tools (Line Cut and Loop Cut).

CBR

Yes, I was using a cube primitive 😅

Ill give this a shot