First 3d model - feedback?

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Cool, so your first poly should look like this...

image.thumb.png.2456c4776cc9b2fc98b3efd1b074904a.png

CBR

Just gotta say - I really appreciate you taking time out of your day helping me!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know being a student with a tight budget can suck a bit when it comes to paying for help (I'm a student myself 🙂 ). But if you get the money for a Skype-session with Cerbera, do it :). Had a 2 hour

Well done on your first model created in C4D.   For us to offer some feedback we need to see the wires of the model as to see its construction.  Its also a good idea to post the reference image your w

Yes of course...       CBR Grenade CBR 02.c4d

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

Just gotta say - I really appreciate you taking time out of your day helping me!

You're most welcome. Don't forget the post likes system, which is how we thank the people that are helping in a way that helps them back ! 😉

CBR

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You're most welcome. Don't forget the post likes system, which is how we thank the people that are helping in a way that helps them back ! 😉

CBR

System doesn't allow me to do more "thank you's" for today 😛

5 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

System doesn't allow me to do more "thank you's" for today 😛

Oh that's interesting. Thanks for flagging that up. We should change that, what do you think, @Igor ?!

CBR

25 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Cool, so your first poly should look like this...

image.thumb.png.2456c4776cc9b2fc98b3efd1b074904a.png

Now you just gotta cut that into what I posted above...

CBR

I believe I managed to cut it out like you did?

It does look like sh** though.

image.png.76678143c204df831e12f0ecc1cc26dc.png

27 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

I believe I managed to cut it out like you did?

Not quite like I did 😉. Yours has tri polys, and, even worse, the dreaded ngons (around the hole) where it shouldn't, yet your overall triangular form at the base isn't triangular enough ! the edges describing that out-jutting bit need to be dead straight for the next stage, which is adding control loops which we need for this to work with subdivision like so... 

image.thumb.png.b028396b02de6eeadd4c7fa1619ce3c9.png

Already this might seem overwhelmingly complicated, and there are definitely ways to 'bodge it' faster, but I might as well show you what the proper topology should look like, were you trying to model this really well...

So in addition to the above, other things that have changed in this version include:

• Left top corner edge flow changed so that the topology flows 'around' that corner, which will allow it to sit more nicely under the handle...
  • Control loops added to perimeter, around holes, and around triangular outjut section, solved to quads with rest of mesh.
  • Further refining of edge flow and a lot of straightening of edges !

So, under SDS L3, this looks like below, and holds its form very well under subdivision...

image.thumb.png.ece58edbac9eec2d225a1e976e8b8b43.png

Only NOW are we ready to add Symmetry, SDS, and make this into a proper 3D form...

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
added info... pls refresh page
5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Not quite like I did 😉. Yours has tri polys, and, even worse, the dreaded ngons (around the hole) where it shouldn't, yet your overall triangular form at the base isn't triangular enough ! the edges describing that out-jutting bit need to be dead straight for the next stage, which is adding control loops which we need for this to work with subdivision like so... 

image.thumb.png.b028396b02de6eeadd4c7fa1619ce3c9.png

Already this might seem overwhelmingly complicated, and there are definitely ways to 'bodge it' faster, but I might as well show you what the proper topology should look like, were you trying to model this really well...

CBR

I don't think I am going to be able to do that 😂

3 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

Yes you are ! Use the force !!! Or more practically speaking, use my actual image as a background image for your model, so you can put lines exactly where mine are...

CBR

Just now, Bixmox said:

Your getting closer, just got to keep going. I would go back and look at what cerbera has shown you but really look at it rather than just copy.  The key is to start simple and add more structure in stages.  If it feels your not getting anywhere your wrong, you actually are, your forcing yourself through this learning curve, and once your get through this the next one will be easier.

Dan