Jump to content

First 3d model - feedback?


Recommended Posts

So this is what that topology should lead to when we start adding symmetry and making things 3D...

 

image.thumb.png.26e56aaec3da9103ffbff60665b3b8bd.png

 

But now we need some additional reference pics to show what happens on the front and top with this part, and to know which bits are plate metal with thickness, and which are one solid piece if you see what I mean...

 

CBR

Link to post
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know being a student with a tight budget can suck a bit when it comes to paying for help (I'm a student myself 🙂 ). But if you get the money for a Skype-session with Cerbera, do it :). Had a 2 hour

Well done on your first model created in C4D.   For us to offer some feedback we need to see the wires of the model as to see its construction.  Its also a good idea to post the reference image your w

Yes of course...       CBR Grenade CBR 02.c4d

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

 

Not quite like I did 😉. Yours has tri polys, and, even worse, the dreaded ngons (around the hole) where it shouldn't, yet your overall triangular form at the base isn't triangular enough ! the edges describing that out-jutting bit need to be dead straight for the next stage, which is adding control loops which we need for this to work with subdivision like so... 

 

image.thumb.png.b028396b02de6eeadd4c7fa1619ce3c9.png

 

Already this might seem overwhelmingly complicated, and there are definitely ways to 'bodge it' faster, but I might as well show you what the proper topology should look like, were you trying to model this really well...

 

So in addition to the above, other things that have changed in this version include:

 

  • Left top corner edge flow changed so that the topology flows 'around' that corner, which will allow it to sit more nicely under the handle...
  • Control loops added to perimeter, around holes, and around triangular outjut section, solved to quads with rest of mesh.
  • Further refining of edge flow and a lot of straightening of edges !

 

So, under SDS L3, this looks like below, and holds its form very well under subdivision...

 

image.thumb.png.ece58edbac9eec2d225a1e976e8b8b43.png

 

Only NOW are we ready to add Symmetry, SDS, and make this into a proper 3D form...

 

CBR

When I try to add the loops it doesn't do them for the whole circle?

The same happens on the rectangle on the bottom, always one polygon out of the loop

image.png.ca90b0f6f5cd2907b1552ecb3f4fb1a7.png

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

When I try to add the loops it doesn't do them for the whole circle?

The same happens on the rectangle on the bottom, always one polygon out of the loop

 

That means there is an error in your mesh somewhere around that area. You probably have a stray point, or something not welded properly. If you upload the current mesh I can tell you why...

 

but it's a good lesson in why we need to care a bit about topology even in situations where we don't necessarily have to for the final result. Half the modelling tools cannot work predictably if there are mesh errors.

 

CBR

Link to post
Just now, Cerbera said:

 

That means there is an error in your mesh somewhere around that area. You probably have a stray point, or something not welded properly.

If you upload the current mesh I can tell you why...

 

CBR

 

New M67.c4d

Link to post

Ok, that's because this point...

 

image.png.557a3726490c59eec96c97a929ac6f6f.png

 

...is actually 3, that all need to be welded into 1.

Make sure your viewport HUD is showing selected points, edges, polys and ngons, so you are always aware of exactly what you have selected. Sort that out in this menu on the right, which you get to from the attributes pane...

 

image.thumb.png.6f81ffa732135e1eb7626db793c22c31.png

 

CBR

Edited by Cerbera
added info... pls refresh page
Link to post
5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Ok, that's because this point...

 

image.png.557a3726490c59eec96c97a929ac6f6f.png

 

...is actually 3, that all need to be welded into 1.

 

CBR

I see, fixed it now.

 

There is also the rectangle which has the same issue but I can't seem to find the source of the issue, is there any good way for finding these points?

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

There is also the rectangle which has the same issue but I can't seem to find the source of the issue, is there any good way for finding these points?

I can't know which rectangle you mean...

But yes, there is a way to spot these things. Look up the Mesh Checker in the Manual, and turn that on to see your problems polys highlighted as you go...

 

CBR

Link to post
11 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I can't know which rectangle you mean...

But yes, there is a way to spot these things. Look up the Mesh Checker in the Manual, and turn that on to see your problems polys highlighted as you go...

 

CBR

I believe I have now recreated it like yours to my best ability, only polys, not ngons.

 

image.thumb.png.1e0d2588f47ffdd7b851d2a5b7cc1b11.png

New M67.c4d

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Ok, there are some problem areas in that which may come back to bite you later if you don't solve them now...

 

1072794435_problemareas.thumb.jpg.a00ad1d98ddebb5e8d49881c7f124f1c.jpg

 

CBR

 

What is the issue with the ones on the bottom? I think I sorted the problems on top

image.png.136cc80111115c9557b8fcf3b9220c67.png

Link to post

Nope, now you have an ngon at the top instead of a triangle.

The problem with the bottom edge is that you haven't copied my control edges accurately enough, so your corner there will look considerably more 'floppy' than mine does under subdivision later. Conversely, to the right of the little protruding tab on the left you actually have one edge loop too many...

 

CBR

Link to post
1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Nope, now you have an ngon at the top instead of a triangle.

The problem with the bottom edge is that you haven't copied my control edges accurately enough, so your corner there will look considerably more 'floppy' than mine does under subdivision later.

 

CBR

Could you just send me your mesh since these are just small things related to the copying? - which was quite hard since both the pictures were not the same size

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...