First 3d model - feedback?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know being a student with a tight budget can suck a bit when it comes to paying for help (I'm a student myself 🙂 ). But if you get the money for a Skype-session with Cerbera, do it :). Had a 2 hour

Well done on your first model created in C4D.   For us to offer some feedback we need to see the wires of the model as to see its construction.  Its also a good idea to post the reference image your w

Yes of course...       CBR Grenade CBR 02.c4d

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Bixmox said:

Do you know any good like course series of some kind that teaches the basic-intermediate stuff?

I feel like I am kinda just diving head first into the deep end 😅

Not for free really... there's all those videos I told you about, which tend to be more specific tool or project focused rather than course-based and a few DVD type courses (like Making it Look Great 11 etc) , but they're all paid, and all quite general because they have to be. If you need a course custom designed for you, then that's what people like me are here for, but of course we are not free either, unless you are lucky enough to catch us on a rest day or in downtime like today for example 🙂

CBR

A great book for the beginner polygon 'pusher' is this:

https://pushingpoints.com/v2/the-pushing-points-topology-workbook/

It explains what kind of topology to avoid, how to fix things, and keep the poly flow nice and clean. The online version is quite inexpensive, and explains everything you need to know to create nice topology, while avoiding beginner's mistakes.

This page also mentions good basic topology and techniques to hold shapes:

https://topologyguides.com/

Btw, good poly flow and topology is software-agnostic. Even if you might have trouble finding a C4D specific tutorial for modeling a grenade, finding ones for other software is quite easy. The techniques remain the same.

On 1/26/2020 at 7:30 PM, Cerbera said:

Not for free really... there's all those videos I told you about, which tend to be more specific tool or project focused rather than course-based and a few DVD type courses (like Making it Look Great 11 etc) , but they're all paid, and all quite general because they have to be. If you need a course custom designed for you, then that's what people like me are here for, but of course we are not free either, unless you are lucky enough to catch us on a rest day or in downtime like today for example 🙂

CBR

16 hours ago, hvanderwegen said:

A great book for the beginner polygon 'pusher' is this:

https://pushingpoints.com/v2/the-pushing-points-topology-workbook/

It explains what kind of topology to avoid, how to fix things, and keep the poly flow nice and clean. The online version is quite inexpensive, and explains everything you need to know to create nice topology, while avoiding beginner's mistakes.

This page also mentions good basic topology and techniques to hold shapes:

https://topologyguides.com/

Btw, good poly flow and topology is software-agnostic. Even if you might have trouble finding a C4D specific tutorial for modeling a grenade, finding ones for other software is quite easy. The techniques remain the same.

Alright - Thanks

Ill have a look at the topology guides!

On 1/26/2020 at 7:30 PM, Cerbera said:

CBR

Made a battle-axe, topology should be good?

Works perfectly with SDS at least

image.thumb.png.cc2819923b0cbbad3c058f297788c8a1.png

9 minutes ago, Bixmox said:

Made a battle-axe, topology should be good?

That topology is.... OK 🙂 It could be improved however. If you upload the model file and some reference of what it should look like, I could show you howso...

CBR

Just now, Cerbera said:

That topology is.... OK 🙂 It could be improved however. If you upload the model file and some reference of what it should look like, I could show you howso...

CBR

Here you go:

War axe.c4d

Yeah it was quite a list.... including, but not limited to...

• Removed extraneous loops by blade tip and at base of handle
  • Replaced the horrible triangles and complex pole on the handle base with quads (looked fairly grim under SDS)
  • Equalised edge flow across the axe head
  • Made an actual hole for the handle to sit in.
  • Removed the top cap of the handle (inside head)
  • Retopologised the blade tip to give razor sharp edge under subdivision. This creates triangles, so solved those to quads.
  • Removed and reinserted most of your control edges which were made in the wrong mode (Proportional rather than Edge Distance you actually needed there)
  • Generally tidied up scrappy edge distribution

I don't know if you were aiming for asymmetry, but you certainly achieved it. I suspect however that this is meant to be symmetrical, and should have been modelled as such using Symmetry from the start, which also would have halved the work you needed to do.

I do all this to try and illustrate for you the difference between an 'OK' model and a good one.

CBR

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah it was quite a list.... including, but not limited to...

• Removed extraneous loops by blade tip and at base of handle
  • Replaced the horrible triangles and complex pole on the handle base with quads (looked fairly grim under SDS)
  • Equalised edge flow across the axe head
  • Made an actual hole for the handle to sit in.
  • Removed the top cap of the handle (inside head)
  • Retopologised the blade tip to give razor sharp edge under subdivision. This creates triangles, so solved those to quads.
  • Removed and reinserted most of your control edges which were made in the wrong mode (Proportional rather than Edge Distance you actually needed there)
  • Generally tidied up scrappy edge distribution

I don't know if you were aiming for asymmetry, but you certainly achieved it. I suspect however that this is meant to be symmetrical, and should have been modelled as such using Symmetry from the start, which also would have halved the work you needed to do.

I do all this to try and illustrate for you the difference between an 'OK' model and a good one.

CBR

sh**, there is a lot to learn 😂