Slowing dynamics but keeping animation?

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been posted before, I've searched every corner of the internet for the answer to this to no avail.

I'm working on several scenes involving objects falling to the floor and bouncing. We've finally got sign-off in terms of the way the objects fall and bounce, however they need to be slowed down.

I've tried this multiple ways - baking the animation with mograph cache, changing the frame rate of the project changes the dynamics, keeping the frame rate the same but exporting at a higher frame rate simply plays the animation back at a quicker speed, and changing the time scale produces a massive headache as it slows the animation down but the dynamics go crazy - I can play with the Steps Per Frame to fix this, but as I said, the shots have been signed off and doing this causes the dynamics to change so the outputted result looks different.

Has anyone found the definitive fix to this? I've seen similar questions posted before, but no real solution. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Im no expert in this area by any means, but would it be an option to render everything out as an image sequence and then retime it in AE.

Just a thought, that may be your current route.

Deck

Hey, thanks for the reply,

Yep that's what I'm currently doing, however I need more keyframes to slow it down smoothly, otherwise it becomes 12.5FPS if I render at 25FPS and stretch 200%. However there doesn't seem to be any way of forcing Cinema to render the same animation at 50FPS while keeping the same calculations in the dynamics 😕

• Community Staff

Not sure I understand the problem but you can definitely change the export FPS without influencing the simulation. Same animation but in 5FPS and in 60FPS, directly exported out of C4D:

All you have to do is bake the simulation before you render.

On 1/27/2020 at 3:35 PM, DasFrodo said:

Not sure I understand the problem but you can definitely change the export FPS without influencing the simulation. Same animation but in 5FPS and in 60FPS, directly exported out of C4D:

All you have to do is bake the simulation before you render.

Hey, bit of a late reply but it looks like you're correct - weirdly this just didn't seem to work on a couple of my files but worked on most of the others (I probably wasn't baking the dynamics properly) - thanks!