Sign in to follow this  
Freemorpheme

Irritating triangle

Can anyone solve this triangle for me? No matter what I do, I just move it from place to place. I feel like there must be a way without going to the edge and propagating around the other side.

Thanks

Screenshot 2020-01-27 at 15.46.54.png

• Topic Author
  • Here is the geo

tri.c4d

...and you definitely don't want to do this then, which is how I'd solve it if I was in a hurry ? 🙂

image.thumb.png.c20ffb19ca19afaab8bfd0635c7d3bdd.png

Hang on though - I will find you a craftier way...

CBR

If you don't mind running one additional edge out and down the hole, then this might work ?

image.thumb.png.e42077745e31bb872785fa50cb79182a.png

CBR

...or we could retopo that side bit a little to do this ?

image.thumb.png.d0a43a43fb9c184b7cd56f51ae6a4615.png

CBR

Edited by Cerbera

• Topic Author
  • 10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

down the hole,

You know, in the four hours I've spend modelling this lump, it never once occurred to me that I could add an extra loop into that hole. Thanks for all of these, they are supremely educational. 

You may be wondering why I didn't suggest this as an option, which runs a much simpler single edge into the hole...

image.thumb.png.43e17502dafd8c0e750d3ac64acc0660.png

...but the reason why I don't like that so much is that it gives us a kite quad and a diversion to the edge flow slightly too close to the perimeter loop for my liking, hence the slightly more complex alternative above...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • A kite quad, now I know what those things are called. Yes, this was my solution for a while as well. Is there a way of doing it without running any more loops to the edges whatsoever? Or is it simply impossible?

Not unless you can make this work for you - ie LOSE an edge by the hole...

image.thumb.png.133ae2e85c5cf852a885eef3df43eaed.png

It should be possible (though only just) to still hold the shape of that hole with one less edge, or you could get it from somewhere else...

CBR

Oh, forgot to say, we could also apply the 'do nothing' approach, where we change nothing about our topology but  just apply 1 level of subdivision to the mesh, which solves it for us ! 🙂

image.thumb.png.8adcc01c68fffd1bbd57306b377a6fb1.png

Everyone should know that trick, but let's not forget the less-widely-known second half to that procedure, the decimation of smaug...

Once you have that you can select a whole load of loops to take away again (most notably the tightly bunched ones at the top, but also everywhere else) that are now extraneous, thus preserving the quad solve and the loop detail where you need it, and decimating the mesh (optionally) almost back down to the pre-subdivided level elsewhere... then that can go back under a live SDS (this time L2 max, because we already did it once) and you can carry on from there.

CBR