Wrapping an object on tube top to bottom

I'm pretty new to C4D but trying to make the most of what I know. I've got a project where I need to wrap a label around a horizontal tube from top to bottom. Basically think about wrapping a Sharpie logo on a pen. I don't want to use a graphic on a material for the label because I ultimately will have 20-30 variations - the only difference between them is a number. Also, I can create the logo with simple splines and fonts.  So I'd like to do this as an object that I can continue to modify as needed. 

I have attempted to use the Wrap deformer - but I can't figure out how to wrap it top to bottom instead of around. I would rather use something like a Surface deformer and just stick the object to the side. But when I do that, it becomes a serious mess and no adjustment to U, V or scale seems to get me anywhere close. I've also tried a simple project object, but that seems to do nothing at all. 

I'm sure this is super common and I'm just being a newbie. Any pointers would be extremely welcomed.  Thanks!

You should be able to just rotate the Wrap, or the Deformed model. Alternatively you could use the Shrink Wrap Deformer or even the Bend Deformer.
If we can't see the problem, I can't easily provide a solution without speculation.

Could you please post a simplified scene?

Cheers

8 hours ago, kanec said:

Also, I can create the logo with simple splines and fonts.  So I'd like to do this as an object that I can continue to modify as needed. 

The wrap deformer can be used for this purpose - as @noseman says just rotate the deformer, but you will need to be very careful about the topology of your lettering if this is not to produce a horrible result. If you are going to make your text out of splines (as opposed to modelling it properly) then you need some very specific settings for this to work well.

image.thumb.png.1fe1584575cb00fcf25590ce65c0e693.png

Those settings are:

- Change spline interpolation on the text to something like natural, uniform, or subdivided, and make sure it has adequate intermediate points to be able to hold a curve within its caps.

- Change the Text caps to Delaunay, increase density and turn on quad-dominant.

Now your text should wrap properly as above...

CBR

1 hour ago, noseman said:

You should be able to just rotate the Wrap, or the Deformed model. Alternatively you could use the Shrink Wrap Deformer or even the Bend Deformer.

58 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

- Change spline interpolation on the text to something like natural, uniform, or subdivided, and make sure it has adequate intermediate points to be able to hold a curve within its caps.

- Change the Text caps to Delaunay, increase density and turn on quad-dominant.

You guys are awesome, thank you.  Through a combination of both your suggestions ... just rotating the deformer (wow, I really had a moment not thinking about doing that) and also getting a more natural subdivided object ... I'm able to wrap.  

Thanks again. And in the future I'll post a simple scene as well.