Sign in to follow this  
kanec

Transform Noise / Mat to Have Hard Edge

I've been working on a material and I have the noise almost where I want it.  OK, it is not really that close but I'm learning. I've selected turbulence which seems  to be close, and applied it to my material and messed with the settings.  The shape is close to what I'm looking for but I want the noise to have a hard edge. The quick render below is in focus from the camera POV, but it looks almost diffused and fuzzy.  These are octane materials and octane renderer.

Any idea on how I can transform/modify the noise to have a harder more defined edge? I've attached a reference picture for what I'm going for.   Also i could be totally approaching this material the wrong way and won't be offended by any suggestions for improvement. Thanks!

Render

Noise-Screenshot.png

Reference Texture

IMG-6234.jpg

If it was a cinema noise then you'd adjust clipping to sort that out. You must work at some epic DPI because the screenie you posted of your settings is too small for (older) human eyes to see at 1920 😉 But I think I can see you have a contrast control, which is similar, so your best bet might be to try increasing that even more.

CBR

PS: This goes in Octane Category because the question you are asking is explicitly linked to that renderer.

• Topic Author
  • 19 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

But I think I can see you have a contrast control, which is similar, so your best bet might be to try increasing that even more.

You are absolutely right! I jacked the contrast all the way up and sharpened everything perfectly. Fantastic. Now I can fine tune.  Thank you so much for the quick response. 

And... I will do a better job of checking the appropriate categories next time. 

KC