Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Unable to preview textures

1 hour ago, joolsd said:

I subdivided the mesh by 4  to stagger the mesh in the the UV strips so that from one angle you see poster A then B you see the B poster. 

Now that's an interesting line...

Because any point count change in that mesh would have instantly broken the existing UV's wouldn't it ? And as I recall the primary symptom of broken UVs on a mesh is when it goes black... but of course that doesn't explain why reopening the file sorted it, so maybe that's a false flag...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 14 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Now that's an interesting line...

Because any point count change in that mesh would have instantly broken the existing UV's wouldn't it ? And as I recall the primary symptom of broken UVs on a mesh is when it goes black... but of course that doesn't explain why reopening the file sorted it, so maybe that's a false flag...

CBR

It was a delibrate UV edit, on a plane, for graphic design purposes. Not like it was an existing model. So I was effectively changing the UV of the plane. If I was to drag on the texture to an un-edited plain, then yes it wouldn't work. 

Work flow was. 

Get plane divide by 8, so you get 4 for each view. 

Convert to mesh.

UV Edit. Mesh is flat anyway just got to move them so that they are stagged. 

Create the UV mesh. (not sure if I needed that but did it anyway)

Saved as PSD. Put the artwork with both posters side by side.

Got new material. Using the colour channel for the artwork.

Dragged the material onto the re-calculated UV. Seemed to work when rendering. (this might be the but that is a bit funky?) 

I noticed you can also load in the UV editor, And it says something like texture already in memory. Or words to that effect.

Oh I see, yes that's fine because the point count of the model didn't change - I'm with you...

CBR