Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Unable to preview textures

Hi,

I have Gouraud shading on and enhanced Open GL is on, I have looked into configuration and texture is on. I have to keep rendering to see what I am doing. 

I have some lights in the scene.  

I very basic thing, but it seems that it is a problem. Is it another setting somewhere? It is just a simple UV texture.

Edited by Cerbera
Corrected keyword spelling

A screenshot would be helpful here, and I could solve this very fast if I only had the project file. But I don't so all I can do is guess.

So you are not seeing any textures in the viewport - is that right ?

You could try pressing N,Q, which activates 'Material' from viewport options menu.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi CBR,

Screen grabs attach. Many thanks.

Materials is on, but I should be able to see the textures on the object?

textured_card.png

view_settings.png

Well, materials IS unticked in that first screenshot, right ?!

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Both on and off, i doesn't show the texture. Is it in shadow or something?

1636953884_ScreenShot2020-01-30at12_54_20.thumb.png.c7e26acb5b31ff474176e023c8c9a3f3.png

I don't know Joolz - I don't have the c4d file and the texture in question, so until I do you're kinda watching me trying to paint a hallway through a letterbox ! 😞

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Just now, Cerbera said:

I don't know Joolz - I don't have the c4d file, and until I do you're kinda watching me trying to paint a hallway through a letterbox ! 😞

CBR

I can't post logos. Let me change the texture a bit. BRB

• Topic Author
  • It just seemed to work, by closing and opening the the project. Not sure why. Did an UV texture edit and it i messed things up. Seems ok now. Maybe the texture wasn't loaded right.

Yeah sometimes display can go a bit wrong, and a restart sorts it out. Sometimes copying the things to new file does the same.

But because it's almost impossible to diagnose (no bug report file generated etc) all we can really do is be pleased it's working now...

I don't suppose you remember exactly what you were doing that caused it to stop working ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah sometimes display can go a bit wrong, and a restart sorts it out. Sometimes copying the things to new file does the same.

But because it's almost impossible to diagnose (no bug report file generated etc) all we can really do is be pleased it's working now...

I don't suppose you remember exactly what you were doing that caused it to stop working ?

CBR

I unwrapped the texture to get that concertina effect. I saved the texture out from the BV editor as a PSD. I subdivided the mesh by 4  to stagger the mesh in the the UV strips so that from one angle you see poster A then B you see the B poster. I edited the artwork in Photoshop. (As I know photoshop better than doing graphics in the UV editor.) Got a new texture loaded up the colour channel. I then used absolute paths, because I was in the process of having to do a lot of changes to the artwork in the texture. Then dragged texture onto the object. I didn't think too much of the black appearance of the texture as it renders fine to file. But my boss came in a said. 'In MAX we have real time renders in the viewport.😡' So that is what prompted me to ask on here as I think this has happed before.  

When you said show me the file earlier I closed down the project to strip out the real artwork and put a placeholder in. Then I realised the preview was working after all. I should try and remember this if it happens again.  We work over a network and use old macs from 2013, so I bet that doesn't help.

Thanks for your help anyway. Sorry it was a bit of a rushed post before.