Sign in to follow this  
BIgor

How can I improve this Render?

Hello 😄 Ok so I built this scene with some free models I found online, Made some of the textures manually and used some GSG Redshift textures for the cars.

The render engine used is REDSHIFT, as you may have guessed 😄 I have a building that has all windows on 3 sides, the back side is a wall, you can see that from the front render view. I am using an 8K HDRI in a dome light for the outside and 10 area lights on the ceiling shaped like a rectangle, 5 in the back and 5 in the front, I saw this light setup in a car shop once. Did just a little post on the images, some Hue and Saturation and used a depth pas to get the BG blur. Some of my friends say that the picture is great but the cars look like toys and another one said that they look like out of a game, My goal here is realism. How can I make this more realistic???

P.S. I had to use Dropbox to share the images because of the size limitation here... 

Pic 1:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm5xigez6iywwak/MP Render 2 Cam 1.1_00000_00000_00000.png?dl=0

Pic 2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4glx9aah023i7vv/MP Render 2 Cam 2.2_00000_00000.png?dl=0

Some quick thoughts:

The background and the fire ground don't quite line up in scale and perspective, so that feels slightly odd and the added depth of field does help that. I see the outside light from the dome, but don't feel it as the motivating light source. I think you have too much artificial ceiling light.... So it's like studio lighting in a naturalistic setting. 

The other thing that stands out is camera position and lensing. The camera is floating wierdly above head height and I'd suggest a higher mm lens.  Rare to see a realistic shot from this height. 

I imagine the white floor just bounces so much light around that it's hard to get good shadows and contrast. You might try a darker floor and just the hdri first. Then add in ceiling lights for reflection slowly. 

Car paint might be too perfect, so add some micro bump to it to break it up in a subtle way. 

Also check your light balance : roof of yellow car is dark compared to the other. 

It's a good start, keep working on it!  This is how you improve. 

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, EAlexander said:

Some quick thoughts:

The background and the fire ground don't quite line up in scale and perspective, so that feels slightly odd and the added depth of field does help that. I see the outside light from the dome, but don't feel it as the motivating light source. I think you have too much artificial ceiling light.... So it's like studio lighting in a naturalistic setting. 

The other thing that stands out is camera position and lensing. The camera is floating wierdly above head height and I'd suggest a higher mm lens.  Rare to see a realistic shot from this height. 

I imagine the white floor just bounces so much light around that it's hard to get good shadows and contrast. You might try a darker floor and just the hdri first. Then add in ceiling lights for reflection slowly. 

Car paint might be too perfect, so add some micro bump to it to break it up in a subtle way. 

Also check your light balance : roof of yellow car is dark compared to the other. 

It's a good start, keep working on it!  This is how you improve. 

I will see to making these adjustments, THX for the advice 😄 I did do a render with just the Dome light but it was to dark... 

Try adjusting the Camera exposure before you add additional lights. Not saying you won't need them, but a photgrapher will balance exposure first. 

@BIgor The biggest thing that bothers me is the scale. Having the depth-of-field so extreme really shrinks the apparent scale down a lot. Much like a tilt-shift effect, which makes images look like miniatures. Since I create images and animation for cars, the other big thing is the size of the tiles on the floor. Looks like a bathroom floor. Try using large, square tiles that are in the 16" or 18" (45 cm) range and very small grout lines. Smooth and reflective too. I know you're in Europe, but I imagine the look would be similar. It is odd that the yellow care in particular, gets a little dark on top, when it should be very well lit with all those lights.

I've attached a test render I did last year using Corona. The lighting isn't perfect, but the scale and the tile floor are good. I'm currently working on finishing this project, so will post updates soon. Good luck and post more images when you make adjustments.

Honda Showroom_Test.jpg

• Topic Author
  • 19 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

@BIgor The biggest thing that bothers me is the scale. Having the depth-of-field so extreme really shrinks the apparent scale down a lot. Much like a tilt-shift effect, which makes images look like miniatures. Since I create images and animation for cars, the other big thing is the size of the tiles on the floor. Looks like a bathroom floor. Try using large, square tiles that are in the 16" or 18" (45 cm) range and very small grout lines. Smooth and reflective too. I know you're in Europe, but I imagine the look would be similar. It is odd that the yellow care in particular, gets a little dark on top, when it should be very well lit with all those lights.

I've attached a test render I did last year using Corona. The lighting isn't perfect, but the scale and the tile floor are good. I'm currently working on finishing this project, so will post updates soon. Good luck and post more images when you make adjustments.

Honda Showroom_Test.jpg

Ok THX for the advice, I have a job project that I need to finish up, after that i will see to improving my Car render with all the help tips 😄 Looking forward to your render updates also 😄

• Topic Author

The lighting is definitely better. Try making the tiles 50% smaller and reduce the depth of field by a lot. Going in the right direction though!

Yes - lighting is much better.  I agree with Al's notes above - I think the DOF is really working against you here on scale.  I don't think a photo like this would have that much blur.  Keep going - it's much improved!

Check your wood texture on the desk - those posts have the grain going horizontal and they should be vertical.

• Topic Author
  • @EAlexander @BigAl3D

Here is my newest try. Did the new changes, what do you think now? On a scale of 1 - 10 how realistic is this? I want it to be photo-real, so far still getting a Game look feeling, something like NFS...

In the download file you have 3 pics, the name of the pics tells you all you need to know. All of them have the same post work in Ae, using the DOF pass and some Curve standard S adjustment... The Portal light of the shop are placed on every window 1 portal light and the are all using the HDRI plugged into them... 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2plqfpeuj6y5dy/New Car Renders.zip?dl=0