Sign in to follow this  
JLinton

Redshift - Feedback display window

Hi, I've been testing out the Redshift demo and before committing to purchasing it I was wondering if I could get some advice?

Some clients supply CAD files for me to import, texture, animate and render and I usually do this using the C4D physical renderer (over night or via online renderfarm).

Converting some of my old files from C4D physical renderer to do a test render in Redshift a feedback display window pops up with a few warnings (Warnings: "invalid normals" and "some invalid geometry"), however I'm able to finish the render without any problems and it looks fine. My main concern is if I ever need to render a larger animation online using a GPU render farm for Redshift, will these warnings stop the render from proceeding or are they simply warnings that I need to be aware of?

Some of the files I'm testing had previously been rendered on an online render farm using Physical render without any hitches but will Redshift allow me to do the same even if these warnings appear.
Cheers,
Jody

The Normal errors probably won't stop the render (but you should check a test file with any render farm you use), but they are indications of mesh errors you should ideally solve before sending things to render... The other mesh error message is unhelpfully vague, and you really could do with knowing what those errors are. Perhaps turn on mesh checker and see what that flags...

In your test file the incorrect Normals (direction the poly is facing) may not have affected things, but you can bet they do in other cases. If all the Normals are wrong you might not notice this until render is complete, when some things may look weird or the lighting / reflections / transparency that don't look right, but if you have mismatched Normals then you'll get patches of different shading where it is wrong, which will be obvious. Cinema contains 2 commands to address this: Align Normals and Reverse Normals, both available from the r-click menu when in poly mode.

CBR

Thanks for the quick reply Cerbera, the invalid normals is a bit strange, I've been quite careful in my workflows to ensure all normals are correct so theres no ugly patches. In reguards to the Invalid geometry warning I think I need to look more into it and define why some objects are producing it, maybe if I can reduce a file down or extract a piece I can share that's not client specific - will have a look. I think that's a good idea doing a test for a few frames on one of the farms, I really want to make sure my previous workflow using Physical is going to work ok with Redshift. Will keep you posted.
Cheers,
Jody

Hi,

You can use Mesh Checker, to see is object correct or have some errors.

Dane

The 'Invalid geometry' feedback seems to be fairly common in Redshift. I see it frequently especially when working with poorer quality meshes, crudely exported CAD data etc. - but it's never caused me any problem. The render continues, it's just a warning. Here is the info directly from the Redshift C4D developer - Kostas:

The invalid geometry warning means that the plugin had to discard parts of the input geometry because it failed validation. This is triggered by degenerate faces, bad normals, invalid values, and generally data cannot be used for rendering.  The warning is there to let the user know this happened in case the data can be corrected manually, and so it has a (minor) educational/awareness aspect to it. For geometry that’s coming from simulations etc. manual editing is not an option, so assuming everything renders as you expect, you can disregard the warning.

Thanks to everyone who's replied, I really do appreciate and value your feedback and this has helped me a lot. I'm in the process of liasing with one of the online render farms to double check that my renders will proceed even with with these 2 warnings. I will post my result here in case anyone else has the same warnings.

Cheers,
Jody

Just an update on this post as I found a solution. I was able to clear the warnings Redshift was giving me in the Feedback Display about invalid geometry. It turns out the "code" it generates refers to the point number on the model, so go to "Structure", set it to "points mode", select the number thats in the error in and then hit "U - O" to optimise it - nothing appears to happen but the error goes away. I found that I had to do this rather than applying optimise to the whole model, checking normals etc... as that didnt get rid of the error - odd but seemed to work for me.

Cheers,
Jody