Sign in to follow this  
jingles

Aliasing issue in viewport and render

I have a scene where the ground is supposed to be white lines going off into the distance. Unfortunately the lines flicker massively in the viewport and as well flicker randomly while rendering. The texture is made up of a gradient with 1 white knot. then in the texture tag it is repeated/tiled on 1 axis a lot of times.

I've played around with the Aliasing best settings and can make progress, but its pretty much unuseable. I could render it at a higher resolution, but am having difficulties creating the scene because its so ugly.

I'm at a loss trying to figure out how to render and work with it in the viewport cleanly.

Thanks

84095153_Aliasingissue.thumb.png.549d78b834cbe3dcc7c59166c7d58827.png

GroundAliasing Issue.c4d

Nope, we can sort out both things I think. For the viewport, pop to preferences, / OpenGL settings and turn texture mode from Linear to Mipmap, which improves things a great deal there. With render - it just requires suitably high Anti-aliasing settings, so minimum 8x8 and max 16 x 16 seems fine... but as this is an animation, you do need an AA type suitable for that, like Mitchell or Gauss. or it'll take ages. I went for the former, which renders in 18 seconds per frame. So that's Standard Render sorted.

image.thumb.png.ed384e7ee0f83570718770c752d642ca.png

But if we want really speedy renders, then set Renderer to Hardware Open GL, set AA there to 16 or 32 and subsampling to 4x4 and you can get a reasonable viewport render out to final (or client preview) at mega-speed. I did about 500 test frames in under 3 mins and they looked OK to me - no obvious flickers past the general fuzziness you'd expect from a texture map that contrast-y and viewed from that shallow an angle...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thank you for testing this and your detailed reply. I greatly appreciate your input!

You're welcome...

CBR