Sign in to follow this  
CrashNebula

Prevent grass to go through aquarium

Hi amigo's,

Another day, another question. Sorry but that's how it goes lately.

I'm making an aquascape aquarium for in an office space and I was stumbling upon the following problem.

My hairs aren't growing through my glass themselves, but it's the material displacement (Frizz, bending, etc) that makes the grass to curl through the glass. So the problem only happens while rendering.

Anyway I can prevent this? I've placed a hair collider on the glass but that doesn't seem to do much for me.

Many thanks in advance.

As usual I highly appreciate your time and effort.

Aquascape.png

Hmmm. I think we will need some 'out of the box' thinking in order to keep this 'in the box' so to speak... what about making some invisible-to camera collider geo that sits just inside the tank glass, and just stops the hair pushing out as far as the glass ? This sort of thing...

image.thumb.png.783290fd6f9acdb229c3036ef18e8a57.png

Or I suppose you could use maps to fade off the frizz and bend at the edges...

CBR

21 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Hmmm. I think we will need some 'out of the box' thinking in order to keep this 'in the box' so to speak... what about making some invisible-to camera collider geo that sits just inside the tank glass, and just stops the hair pushing out as far as the glass ? This sort of thing...

image.thumb.png.783290fd6f9acdb229c3036ef18e8a57.png

CBR

Thats the best and only solution I know of, cant be helped as its a post effect.

• Topic Author
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It seemed bleeding off the frizz and bend was the easy thing to do.

In attachment a preview of the result. Still needs small fish, more plants and filtration system but it starts to look like something already at least haha.

Regards,

P.

Aquarium.png

Yeah that's looking nice 🙂 Don't forget to turn off Exit reflections in your transparency channel on that glass - those don't exist in real life !

Also you can work miracles with swimming fish using really simple geo, some low level SDS and a wind deformer in flag mode  !

CBR

...like so.

Swim_fish.thumb.gif.b86b5372d5a35e59a2d472942281d2ff.gif

Swimmy Clownfish CBR.c4d

Now you can just draw a (uniform interpolation) closed spline path somewhere in your tank, add an align to spline tag to the fish, drag the spline in there, turn on Tangential and keyframe the percentage along spline field and you've instantly got one nicely swimming about. By using a cloner and a random effector you can easily turn that into lots of them swimming about. If you have many following the same spline that will look like shoaling / swarming behaviour, whereas if you do a few different spline paths you can get a much more aquarium-like result where all the fish are independent of each other. This also helps you visualise paths so fish don't collide into each other...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Haha this is nice. I'll fiddle around with it later this week. Not much time right now.

Thanks for your time!

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Don't forget to turn off Exit reflections in your transparency channel on that glass

Do you actually know how to do that in a Redshift material? Can't seem to find it nor can I find a resource online about it.

Maybe they call it different in Redshift.

What does exit reflections actually do? Is it the stone reflecting in the back glass that isn't realistic?

Just now, CrashNebula said:

Do you actually know how to do that in a Redshift material?

No, I don't have RedShift yet, and I forgot you had it TBH 🙂 Nor did I think there was much visually wrong with your scene - it was just some general advice if you were using the native materials...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • The final result after some fiddling around 😊

RetroModernVilla_office_LQ.jpg

RetroModernVilla_aquarium_LQ.jpg