Sign in to follow this  
Theekopje

Make dynamic clones stick?

Hello!

Newbie in C4D here. I want to make a big group of cubes that are randomized in scale on one axis. I did this by putting a cube in a grid array cloner. With the random effector I randomized the scale in the x-direction. By adding a rigid body tag and putting the follow position/rotation to 100% I made sure the cubes don't overlap/intersect. I let the simulation play for a couple of frames and set that as the initial state in the dynamics tab of the rigid body tag. 

However I want the cubes to seamlessy stick together. Right now they more or less stay in a grid shape, but there are some gaps.

Is there any way I can do this? Im very lost and have no idea how to fix this.

Another problem is, is that I want to add a shader effector with the watersurface effect on it, and let it affect the yposition of the cubes, so that some sort of wave moves through the cubes. But after I have done the dynamics bit the shader effector does not seem to work anymore.

Can somebody help me please?

Scene file is attached.

Thanks!!

Metro blocks.c4d

Welcome to the cafe 🙂

We need to know, on a broader level what you are actually trying to make... then we will know whether you are going about it with a suitable setup...

Is it trying to be a brick wall for example ? Will it be animated ? Do you need to keep any part of the setup parametric / procedural ? Once we have answers to those we'll have everything we need to be able to help...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Sorry I wasnt clear but I want a really easy setup of the cubese going up and down in a wavey motion. Like an ocean of cubes. Like the setup I have in my scene already, but I just want them to stick seamlessy together and to go in the wavey motion. Im just doing small tests to get a bit of knowledge of the software, so nothing major yet.

33 minutes ago, Theekopje said:

I just want them to stick seamlessy together and to go in the wavey motion

That would seem like a contradiction in terms - if they are stuck together how can they move in a wave motion ? And what kind of wave motion, on which axis ?

This is why we have to be so precise in our descriptions. For example, do you mean this sort of wave, and this sort of 'stuck together' ?

2120827325_waveclones.thumb.gif.99b8f0ba79478c6b8543eecab54c8018.gif

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yes like that but with random sizes. And I cant get them to not overlap and do this wavey motion.

Im sorry, I thought I had explained it pretty clear. But apparently I didnt.

But yes I want what you made in the gif, but I want the cubes to have random sizes on the x.scale. But whenever I do that they overlap so I use the rigid body so make them collide. However I dont know how to make them stick to each other so that there are no gaps in between the cubes. 

You can see this if you download my scene I attached in my original message. 

Yes I have seen your original file. OK, so you don't want them to stick together, you want them to maintain their existing proximity whilst moving on Y axis.

This is not really my area of expertise if I'm honest - I just popped in to admin the thread etc, and thought I could help if it was just a quick one. Unfortunately I don't have an hour to throw at fully understanding and solving your setup tonight, so will have to leave it to one of our Mograph / dynamics guys I'm afraid.

But the abridged and untested game plan might be:

• Get a polygon copy of your existing cloner setup in its new initial state, and with the dynamics tag completely removed. (there is at least 3 existing threads here on how to do this, but I am forgetting the exact procedure at the moment, which is very precise, so do a search for those).
    • Put that in a Fracture which would fracture the single mesh into poly islands ie like your original clones...
    • Apply a Formula Effector to the Fracture (default formula settings are fine initially), set it so it just does Y position and that should work.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thank you so much!! Will def give this a try