Sign in to follow this  
thomaslowles

Help: Lights moving up and down cylinder

Hi, I am looking to create a light show animation similar to the link below. With the light moving up and down along cylinders, reacting to music.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/370632244335849529/feedback/?invite_code=e6405d54871a4b6496c2a4f944711af5&sender_id=399061354389962781

Using fields affecting the cyclinders in cloners I have managed to affect the lights completely changing colour (black to white) but can't figure out how I get the colour moving up and down the lights like in the video.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't use lights for this at all if I'm honest. The kind of smooth movement we see in your reference is not best got that way.

I would do this with luminant materials instead, where you could animate the white part of a tightly controlled V gradient offsetting through the object, and use Global Illumination to actually get emission out of the cylinders and light the rest of the scene with it. Whereas if you do this with lights I predict you will struggle to get that to not look like a single point moving, rather than a strip of light which passes down and through the object...

Just a thought...

Please update your profile to your current version, which can't be 19 if there are fields involved !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • On 2/7/2020 at 8:26 AM, Cerbera said:

I wouldn't use lights for this at all if I'm honest. The kind of smooth movement we see in your reference is not best got that way.

I would do this with luminant materials instead, where you could animate the white part of a tightly controlled V gradient offsetting through the object, and use Global Illumination to actually get emission out of the cylinders and light the rest of the scene with it. Whereas if you do this with lights I predict you will struggle to get that to not look like a single point moving, rather than a strip of light which passes down and through the object...

Just a thought...

Please update your profile to your current version, which can't be 19 if there are fields involved !

CBR

Thanks for your advice, this definitely seems like the best method for the effect but I don't think there is a way to automate the animation of this with sound? 

2 minutes ago, thomaslowles said:

Thanks for your advice, this definitely seems like the best method for the effect but I don't think there is a way to automate the animation of this with sound? 

I bet there is ! You'd probably have to use Xpresso though and I am not the best guy to ask about that 😉

CBR

Maybe could be used texture (with glow) and animated/driven by XP offset in vertical direction...

• Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, bezo said:

Maybe could be used texture (with glow) and animated/driven by XP offset in vertical direction...

Cheers, yeah that was the effect solution suggested above. My main issue now is how to automate the animation to sound and each clone at affected at a different pitch. I am guessing as CBR said, this is an xpresso job... unfortunately I am very inexperienced with using it.