Sign in to follow this  
kkamin

Need Ideas to Generate Photoreal Clouds

I'm on R18 with physical renderer. What would be the best way for me to generate the blanket of clouds below the plane? Clouds that can realistically react to lighting.

clouds.jpg

You could use displacement on geometry such as sphere. Pyrocluster would do a fair job but best go with a fluid simulator like TurbulenceFd or X particles. I know TFD well so give me a shout if you need any help

There are a few ways you can do it.

1. TFD. I believe there might be a few tutorials on Youtube that might help with setting up TFD for clouds. Here is an example, but I believe it was rendered with RedShift. https://vimeopro.com/davidtorno/showcase/video/255510080

2. FumeFX. Cinema 4D now has FumeFX, and it can do the same thing as TFD. Here is an example of FumeFX being used for clouds. I'm not sure what render engine they use for this, but it was done in 3DS Max.

3. Gradient material on cloned planes. There is a tutorial here that explains how to set it up. https://tutorials.cgrecord.net/2018/04/creating-smoke-clouds-in-cinema-4d.html

4. Import .vdb files. I'm not sure if C4D can import .vdb files, as they contain volume info, and you'll need a way to render them. I know with Vray, you can use the .vdb importer, and that will allow you to render volume objects. I think Arnold can also do it as well.