Sign in to follow this  
pacificm

How to Create Mouth Movement with Fuse/Mixamo?

Hello,

I’m using Adobe Fuse to create and add 3D human animated Mixamo characters to a Cinema 4D project. I have the latest available edition of each.

All is well except I would like to create some mouth movement to some of the characters.  Apparently the Mixamo characters do not have the necessary meshing/rigging built in them to simply achieve mouth movement.  As you may know, you can easily create animated human characters in Fuse/Mixamo and import them into C4D.  My interest is to create mouth movements that would be synced to a song.  

I'm not sure how to create and add the necessary meshing/rigging in a Mixamo figure that imports into C4D with the meshing and rigging to display a full bodied animated adult, but does not have what is necessary to move their mouths.  It appears that, if possible, I will need to add the mouth meshing/rigging, animation to a character who is already built to enable them to move their mouths.

Please let me know if this can be done and if so, what is the process to do it?

Thanks!

Hi

To put it in short to add the needed geometry for the mouth will break the models point order and thus its Uv map and weighting to the rig, to the extent of how bad it breaks it your have to do a experiment by simply adding or taking away from the geometry.  As Mixamo mocap is assigned to joints the mocap will still work. 

There will be some weighting clean up needed and some Uv recalculation needed, for this I fix it outside C4D within Modo and Unfold3d as it breaks it bad enough for me to need both of them apps in order to retain whats already there to be compatible with texture maps already made while adding, and relaxing the additional geometry within the Uvs already there without messing existing Uvs up.  Doing this also breaks compatibility with existing Zbrush files so having to add or take away geometry is something I avoid.

Now to add a rig for the moth is the easy part.  You just need two bones, one bone with a end joint for the jaw, Constrain this via a parent constraint to the head joint. Motion clips wont be effected by this method, but if you put the jaw bone within the head hone it will break compatibility with other mocap files from mixamo, there will be no data to move the jaw. Again how bad it is will be down to trying it, just add a joint as a child to a existing joint and see how it effects it, it varies.

These are things you can test with ease without having to do the actual job in question.  The mouth modeling wll need you to delete the low part of the face in most cases, I dont know as I dont use Mixamo own characters just be prepared to do some fixing with Uvs, texture maps, and weighting, and our need to add proper loops for the mouth, do some additional texture work if you managed to retain the original Uvs.

Dan

5 hours ago, pacificm said:

Apparently the Mixamo characters do not have the necessary meshing/rigging built in them to simply achieve mouth movement.  

They do have quite good mouth and facial shapes. If you are going via the mixamo website there is an option to save blend shapes.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks so much for your replies!

I just came across this YouTube that suggests this can be accomplished easily using the Mixamo mouth shapes.  Except it appears that it is geared for using Blender.  It also mentions an additional script which is not clear if that is necessary for the mouth moves or ability to download the Mixamo file in the fbx. format.  If Blender can do it easily using Mixamo mouth and facial shapes, one would think that C4D could also do it.

Any suggestions how to use this "easy" approach in C4D.  Here is the YouTube - 

On 2/10/2020 at 5:32 PM, pacificm said:

Thanks so much for your replies!

I just came across this YouTube that suggests this can be accomplished easily using the Mixamo mouth shapes.  Except it appears that it is geared for using Blender.  It also mentions an additional script which is not clear if that is necessary for the mouth moves or ability to download the Mixamo file in the fbx. format.  If Blender can do it easily using Mixamo mouth and facial shapes, one would think that C4D could also do it.

Any suggestions how to use this "easy" approach in C4D.  Here is the YouTube - 

The answer to you question is, what is the 'easy' approach? Unfortunatly there is no button that does it in one go.  

A couple of summary options if it helps?

1. Looking at this video, the closest example in C4D  is to find the  pose morph tag, and click on that and animate and go in and animate the mouth shapes. 

You could hand animate them to a audio track. This is the brut force way of doing it, but is a bit laborious.  But easy in a none technical sense.

2. Is to buy some sort of external facial capture software. And import your fully rigged model into that. (requires a bit of learning, money and patience)

3. Or use C4Ds CV-AR plugin in, which uses the facial capture capabilities of the Apple iPhoneX, It means linking up from the source to the target model. (requires a bit of learning, money and patience)

Unfortunately when it comes to animation more so facial animation its a technical and time consuming job.  Being that by using Mixamo in of it self has save huge amounts of time, taking one of the manual options may be the way to go.  iPhoneX direction I know someone that has used that with some success, but its a huge amount of work involved, not forgetting you need a iphoneX, what do they cost these days some crazy amount?

Dan