Sign in to follow this  
John Smith

Falloff Edge Distortion/Noise

Hi,

I'm trying to get my falloff edge to look more like the image below of the Vertex map growth propagation. With the standard Falloff shapes, I can't seem to achieve the same organic effect. I've tried shader, morgaph selections, random falloff/effectors.

I'd like the polygons to scale-up and rotate into position (from their edges), but have the leading edge of the falloff shape look like vertex map shape (RED part).

I've already got the geometry created with the axis of each polygon moved to the edge (see image). With this set-up, I don't think I can use a vertex map because the polygons are all disconnected from one another (correct?).

Any ideas?

Thanks so much! 

1775431221_ScreenShot2020-02-09at10_04_06PM.thumb.jpg.64a1974e8f2e47a38335c32733ab3cfb.jpg514943541_ScreenShot2020-02-09at9_54_24PM.thumb.jpg.40fa7bcc7ca06069187787b1fde6eee6.jpg502074375_photoshopedresultsdesired.thumb.jpg.bad255c5e0dc525d6f3673ef2a1b943b.jpg

• Topic Author
  • I just added a random field (plus the linear field), made some adjustments, and that seemed to work for now. However, in order to achieve the detail, I obviously need more polys. When I crank up the sphere to 3,500 polys...it becomes unworkable. That's 3,500 polys, 3,500 fracture objects, ect. for cinema to calculate, rotate, scale...

I have a 4 core 4.2Ghz iMac.

Is there a way to make this more efficient? Any way to preserve the axis on the edges of the polys and have a single object?

Thanks!