Sign in to follow this  
Myosis

Button in subgroup?

Hi,

Does anyone know why the button is not in/under the foldable subgroup?

import c4d
from c4d import gui

class Fold(gui.GeDialog):
    def CreateLayout(self):
        self.SetTitle('')

# create a quicktab
        self.GroupBegin(1011, c4d.BFH_SCALEFIT, 0, title = '')
        bc = c4d.BaseContainer()
        bc.SetBool(c4d.QUICKTAB_BAR, True)
        bc.SetString(c4d.QUICKTAB_BARTITLE, 'title')
        bc.SetBool(c4d.QUICKTAB_BARSUBGROUP, True)
        subgroup = self.AddCustomGui(122, c4d.CUSTOMGUI_QUICKTAB, '', c4d.BFH_SCALEFIT, 0, 0, bc)

#foldable group ?
        self.GroupBegin(122, flags=c4d.BFH_SCALEFIT, cols=1, rows=1, title='', groupflags=0)
        self.AddButton(123, c4d.BFH_SCALEFIT, 0, 0, 'Button')
        self.GroupEnd()
        return True

def main():
    dlg = Fold()
    dlg.Open(c4d.DLG_TYPE_MODAL)

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()
    c4d.EventAdd()

The Quicktab is a gadget, not a group. You are using the same ID for the gadget and the group that's folded with it. C4D doesn't do that automatically.

import c4d
from c4d import gui

class Fold(gui.GeDialog):

def CreateLayout(self):
        self.SetTitle('')

# create a quicktab
        self.GroupBegin(1011, c4d.BFV_SCALEFIT, 0, rows=3, title = '')

bc = c4d.BaseContainer()
        bc.SetBool(c4d.QUICKTAB_BAR, True)
        bc.SetString(c4d.QUICKTAB_BARTITLE, 'title')
        bc.SetBool(c4d.QUICKTAB_BARSUBGROUP, True)
        subgroup = self.AddCustomGui(122, c4d.CUSTOMGUI_QUICKTAB, '', c4d.BFH_SCALEFIT | c4d.BFV_TOP, 0, 0, bc)

global flagSubgroupClosed
        flagSubgroupClosed = False
        self.GroupBegin(130, flags=c4d.BFH_SCALEFIT | c4d.BFV_TOP, cols=1, rows=2, title='', groupflags=0)
        self.GroupBorderSpace(10, 0, 10, 0)
        self.AddButton(123, c4d.BFH_LEFT, 0, 0, 'Button')
        self.GroupEnd()
        self.AddButton(124, c4d.BFH_LEFT, 0, 0, 'Also a Button')
        return True

def Command(self, id, msg):
        global flagSubgroupClosed
        if id == 122:
            flagSubgroupClosed = not flagSubgroupClosed
            self.HideElement(130, flagSubgroupClosed)
            self.LayoutChanged(1011)
        return True

def main():
    dlg = Fold()
    dlg.Open(c4d.DLG_TYPE_MODAL)

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()
    c4d.EventAdd()

• Topic Author
  • Works very nice!

I couldn't find an example of this online, I'm sure this will help others too, thank you very much! @Cairyn

When I set the value of: flagSubgroupClosed = False To True it doesn't seem to be folded upon opening. Any idea what might cause that ?

Side question: Tab groups, and quick tabs, don't work in a DLG_TYPE_ASYNC modal window, do they ?

Cheers!

50 minutes ago, Myosis said:

Works very nice!

I couldn't find an example of this online, I'm sure this will help others too, thank you very much! @Cairyn

When I set the value of: flagSubgroupClosed = False To True it doesn't seem to be folded upon opening. Any idea what might cause that ?

Side question: Tab groups, and quick tabs, don't work in a DLG_TYPE_ASYNC modal window, do they ?

Cheers!

There is a C++ sample for many things:

https://github.com/PluginCafe/cinema4d_cpp_sdk/blob/master/source/gui/gedialog_gadgets.cpp

flagSubgroupClosed is not used in the initialization in CreateLayout, so obviously it doesn't have any effect. If you want to have the subdialog closed, you need to do it (again) manually by adding the lines

self.HideElement(130, flagSubgroupClosed)
            subgroup.Select(0,flagSubgroupClosed)

at the end of CreateLayout.

As for using ASYNC dialogs (nonmodal), that is not a problem of the tab group but of the lifetime of the objects within a script. If your dialog is modal, the Open command will not return before the dialog is closed; the class Fold will keep existing, and all is fine with the world. The execution loop in C4D will handle nothing else but your dialog. -- If you use an ASYNC dialog, the Open command will happily open your dialog and then return, which returns control to the C4D main message loop, which ends the script, which kills the Python execution context including your class. You can just try to change the DLG_TYPE; you will see that all the dialog content disappears as soon as you try to click something or even resize the dialog. Because your dialog class is kaputt.

If you want nonmodal dialogs, you need a different approach (use a plugin that makes your dialog class permanently accessable for the C4D main message loop and allows C4D to restore the dialog layout if it gets embedded in some user layout.

(Not going into that topic here - maybe one day I will get to it in my Python: Spoonfed tutorial series.)

• Topic Author
  • @Cairyn Thank you very much, it worked out great!
    You've helped me on numerous occasions (various topics) and I am very grateful. 

Been going down a rabbit hole on how to dynamically change the window size for when the group gets folded / unfolded. Figured this is a different topic so made a new thread for this: 

Cheers 🙂