Sign in to follow this  
Unstable

Can't extend Mixamo Walk Sequence using Repeat

I've been have great difficulty in accomplishing the simplest things recently and I don't know why I see tutorials where things work perfectly in C4d, but when I try them they fail. The most recent video I'm looking at is this one. I did step by step the same thing this individual does up through up to about a 1:30 because it failed to repeat the walk cycle. For some reason, when he sets the animation to repeat, his character keeps walking forward where mine returns the character to the starting point. In the attached project I didn't do any of the things shown in the video. I simply loaded the walk cycle and set it to repeat and go the same thing. So I tried setting it to Offset Repeat and this works to some degree, but at about frame 50 he starts to deform and the walk cycle gets worse as more frames go by. This seems like it should be straight forward, but once again I can't seem to achieve this simple task of making a character walk some 50 yards or so. Is it me or C4d?

help.7z

• Topic Author
  • Ok, I did find that repeat works if you click the 'In Place' option on the mixamo animation before downloading. But this just allows the character to perform the walk cycle in one spot rather than advance forward. Am I expecting more than what the application can deliver?

Hi

I haven't watched the video but have downloaded the your file so thanks for putting these both up when I have time to view them both.  I first wanted to clarify a few things in general.

For walk on the spot animations these are good for when you wish to define your own path and this requires the use of Motion clips and Pivot objects with a align to spline in use.  The second method is to apply yet again using Motion clips a walk cycle that moves on its own forward path.  This must be a cycle that is loop friendly.

Select the root joint of the mixamo rig and add to a motion clip from the animation menu.  With the clip selected in the Motion timeline using the Animation layout your have options.  One is Relative Loop the other is the number of loops.   Increase the number of loops needed and also increase the frames available for that walk length, in your case 400 should cover it.

Dan

help-fixed.zip

• Topic Author
  • Awesome! That is exactly what I was trying to understand. Thank you so much for taking your time to explain this and provide an example. I thought I had checked the help documents for every property of the motion clip, but I either overlooked or didn't comprehend the Relative Loop checkbox. The help document does seem to describe it pretty clearly, so I probably missed it. Again, I really appreciate you helping me over this hurdle. It's so simple once you see it. I've already duplicated the example you provided and I'm going to try the walk cycle following a spline that you mentioned. Thanks and have a great day!

Your welcome.  There is quite a bit in the NLA system, here is a video I made a while back that goes into some depth.  On Youtube there are clickable chapters.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Thanks again. This is a very good video. I'm going to have to watch this several times to get all the information. Absolutely superb!!