Sign in to follow this  
westwell

Sound Effector output to drive animation with Xpresso

I would like audio to affect the speed of the rotation of a matrix object, much like what's discussed here.

From my research, it seems like in Xpresso, you take the Object Output of the Sound Effector, pass it through a Sample node to get the Strength, and then pass that through a Remapper to suit whatever parameter you're trying to affect.

As I'm trying to figure out how to do that, shouldn't I be able to see the "result" being passed through, even before what I decide what to do with it?

In my setup here, I'm expecting a value of 0.627 to be passed through Xpresso so I can do whatever with it to affect whatever parameter I want to:

Why is this not working?

I thought if I take this value and multiply it against a time node and connect it to rotation, it would produce a cool sound/time effect similar to the above post, but even before I play or experiment with those affectations, I can't seem to access the values being ouputed from the Sound Effector.

SoundEffectorXpressoValue_1.png

SoundEffectorXpressoValue_2.png

In the Falloff tab of your effector add either Solid Layer or some Field Layer..

• Topic Author
  • NICE! THANK YOU!

Total noob here, so just out of curiosity - can you explain the logic in why you need that extra layer or Field for it to work? Is it something in the way the Sample node looks at the object for it to parse the data maybe? Anyway....

Regardless, I thank you!

• Topic Author
  • Oops - figuring out how this forum works. I guess i don't have a way of manually flagging the topic solved without adding a comment? Thanks again.

Unfortunately I can't answer this question..😕 I only know it works because I had encountered it myself before..😀
    As I understand , Solid layer works similar to infinite falloff in previous versions of c4d, before Fields were introduced. so do linear, spherical etc..

Strangely, clones get affected by by sound effector in the viewport even without any field layers,  yet XPresso seems to be confused.

You need to wait for response from some of the magicians who are more involved in programming side of c4d, who I believe are present at this forum..🧙‍♂️