Sign in to follow this  
BurmaShave

Selecting Multiple Points On Complex Splines

Easy all. Not sure if this is a really simple thing I'm overlooking or something more fiddly.

I'm trying to select individual loops from some fairly dense topography style splines (see image). Do I have to  manually paint each point in on a selection or is there a "select loop" style tool for points? Only seems to work in edge mode and seems like a fairly basical piece of functionality to need when modelling. Have had a dig and can't find any examples of it being used in tutorials etc.

Thanks all!

image.thumb.png.27a581af49fdbae9cd4ad19b551f73a8.png

Edited by Cerbera
Moved to Correct Section (splines are procedural)

No, splines are rather different systems than polygons, and so we don't get equivalent selection tools. But one that does work is U,W - Select Connected, which I imagine would be your very best friend in this case...

CBR

The screenshot looks as if it would suffice to select one point per loop, and then use "Select Connected" as Cerbera mentioned.

For other selection usecases, you may play with Grow Selection or Shrink Selection or even Invert.

Unfortunately, these methods do not allow to add to an existing selection (so they are not equivalent to loop selection in polygon objects), as they would affect all already selected point sets too. In those cases, it may be the easiest course of action to select partwise (deselect after each part), store the parts with Set Selection in point selection tags, and then finally add it all together with the tags' Select Points button.

• Topic Author
  • Ahhhh this is perfect, the Set Selection stuff is well handy too.

Further question: once I've set a selection group is there a way to extract those splines from the main layout so I can have them as a totally seperate piece? Essentially I'm trying to mimic the cut / paste as new layer tools you'd used to seperate an image in Photoshop.

Thanks for your help gang!

B x

use the split command to split the spline you selected from the group.

• Topic Author
  • Yep that'll do it. Thanks very much all.

B x