Sign in to follow this  
Phildon

C4D vs Vectorworks and AutoCAD for set design

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted
    On 3/9/2020 at 8:45 AM, expo said:

If you are working with Rhino you do not need AutoCAD or Vectorworks. 

Rhino is a CAD program and capable of doing solid modeling, exporting production blueprints and everything what is needed to build things. We work a lot with agencies who use Rhino for interior architecture. And Grashopper is a bit like Houdini...

Thanks expo, I hear what you're saying, but you won't get a job in the Film and Tv business if you don't know either Vectorworks or AutoCAD. All job vacancies for draughtspeople list VW or AC

Rhino is Vectorworks + AutoCAD minus all the awkwardness

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Coming back to this post, I have to say I don't like Vectorworks, it's 3D modelling capabilities are pointless and convoluted clogging the system up when you start to add detail, it's essentially a 2D CAD drawing package with a half baked token 3D module added.
    So I've been immersing myself in Rhino and I've reached a point of sheer frustration with it. No parametric modelling capabilities - seriously? It's kinda staggering that an application that is supposed to be good for CAD doesn't allow me to input numeric data. Also no cloning tools and heaps of other stuff that I find awkward and poorly thought through. OK yes there's some nice stuff, but easily outweighed by its shortfalls.
    I haven't tried modelling in Sketchup yet, but so far Cinema4D seems to be a vastly more efficient tool for modelling than both Rhino and Vectorworks.
    I think that if C4D implemented a CAD dimensioning plug in they'd clean up ... yet they won't because Nemetschek also own Vectorworks.

Try this too Design Spark Mechanical 4.0 it is freeware but you need register and connect once per month. It is based in Spaceclaim commercial CAD application.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=design+spark+mechanical

You still have Blender 2.83, or the improved 2.9 beta  check here

https://www.blendernation.com/