Sign in to follow this  
alterus

rough edges in render

I am working on an animation atm. I am nearly to a point I like but in my current render the edges of the character are quite rough and seem lo fi. Is there any way to make the edges smoother? maybe by blurring them or by ambient occlusion? And if so how? 

Looking forward to any suggestions :)

Andriana nieuwe test0663.jpg

We can't see the wires, which would confirm it, but that looks like quite a low poly model, and if that is the reason, then this is nothing to do with render or textures, so none of your suggested solutions apply. This is probably a modelling thing.

If it is modelled well you should be able to just drop that under an SDS (Subdivision Surface) object, which will just sort it out. If it's not modelled suitably for that (all quads, even poly distribution etc) that will smooth it in a likely unusable way, and you'll have to post the file so we can explore other options.

Lastly, you do need to make sure that in your Render Options your Aliasing settings are set to Best so you are not getting any render jaggies in your reflections

CBR 

• Topic Author
  • thank for the reply! 

I think it is a fairly high poly model (2.6 million). It is the default genesis character from DAZ

I will look into the SDS! Where can I do this exactly?

The aliasing settings were on best 🙂

Ok, if it's that many polys already, SDS won't work. Please upload your scene file (.c4d).

If it's too big to upload directly, send it up to dropbox or similar and link it, and we'll see what's what...

CBR

Cheers - that is MASSIVE 🙂 I presume you can't export the low poly base mesh out of DAZ can you ? That would be so much easier / better to work with if you can get it...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Well the issue with that is that the animation is done in Iclone. So I export the fbx from there to c4d for shading and rendering basically

OK, I have looked at your file, and that is not millions of polys. It's a perfectly suitable mesh for subdivision. You need Level 2 in the SDS object (editor and render). I've just added that, and everything is looking nice and smooth.

image.thumb.png.10e75e4d4d4a7128606c8ec3618d5b71.png

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Wow fantastic, that totally solved it. Thank you so much!