Sign in to follow this  
Freemorpheme

How do you delete something?

Now I am trying to model a bit quicker, I am inspired to write about a problem I always encounter but has never seemed important enough to ask about. When I want to delete some polys what happens, almost invariably, is that I select them, press delete, and the entire model vanishes. I tut in irritation, undo and try again, but the model is deleted again. I undo, delete the polys again in exactly the same way, press delete, and they delete as expected.

How can I stop this from happening? I assume there is some workflow issue I am getting wrong - is the object manager involved in this? I'm sure it is some basic user error and if you can put me straight I can move on with my life.

Thanks.

Where is your mouse pointer? If it's in the viewport, your polys will be deleted (provided you are in the proper mode). If it's in the Object Manager, the selected object will be deleted.

image.thumb.png.6d74758b3f9ff6443dc76784a7aeb352.png

Note that the Del key is overloaded for many windows, so you need to be aware of where the mouse pointer hovers all the time.

• Topic Author
  • 12 minutes ago, Cairyn said:

If it's in the Object Manager, the selected object will be deleted.

Aaaaaaaah, I use a graphics tablet, so the action of reaching for the delete key automatically pushes the pointer into the top right bit of the screen! Is there a way of stopping this from happening? I suppose then I would never be able to delete a whole model.

I guess I will have to learn to delete with my left hand...

Actually - I have added a delete command in the palette at the top next to 'reset PSR' and I will try and use that instead.

Thanks for your help.

Yes that is fundamental Always know where your mouse pointer is, and keep it still in between multi letter commands !🙂

CBR