Sign in to follow this  
SophiaWang

How to use expresso drive animation?

I have a expresso Question.

Exp:

I have a cube A with simple position and rotation animation.

And I have a sphere B not animated but at far away from cube A.

How could I use cube A's animation move to drive sphere B, so they can have the same move but not from two different location.

Coz when I use expresso simple drive and driven, my sphere B just move to the exact same spot as Cube A is, which is not what I want.

I want sphere be stay at where it is but move like cube A dose.

Please take care to post in the correct section, which is not General Discussions. Moved to Xpresso.

CBR

There are several ways of doing this. Here are a few:

1: Xpresso driving offset

- Create an Xpresso tag, drag A onto the canvas, click on the red corner of the node and pick the position port from the menu

- Drag B onto the canvas and add a position input (blue corner)

- Create a constant node, set it to vector and set the offset according to your needs

- Create a math node set it to vector and make sure the function is set to "add"

- Wire the position of A into the first input of the math node

- Wire the output of the constant node into the second input of the math node

- Wire the output of the math node into the position input of B

- Now B should inherit the position animation of A but with the offset set in the constant node

2. Null driving offset

- Create an Xpresso tag, drag A onto the canvas, click on the red corner of the node and pick the position port from the menu

- Drag B onto the canvas and add a position input (blue corner)

- Wire the position output of A into the position input of B 

- Create a null object and make object be child of it

- Move the null to where you want the animation to happen 

- Now B should inherit the position animation of A but relative to the position of the null

3. Constraints (no Xpresso) 

- Create a PSR constraint tag 

- Go to the PSR tab and drag A into the target slot

- Unfold "Offset" and change the XYZ offset 

- Now B should inherit the position animation of A but with the offset defined in the constraint tag

And in case you don't know, you can easily create the basic setup from the context menu. Right-click the parameter you want on the source object (A) and pick "Xpressions -> Set Driver" from the context menu. Do the same on the parameter of your target object but this time pick "Set Driven". An Xpresso tag will be created automatically with the node and ports you need. 

I suggest to watch a few Xpresso beginner tutorials. Xpresso is old but opens up a lot of possibilities if you are willing to learn it. This is really the most trivial thing it can do. 

• Topic Author
  • @Havealot

Thank you so much for your answer. It was really helpful, exactly what I need. 

Can you please recommend some Xpresso beginner tutorials? I've been looking up online but didn't really found any.

Big thanks again.

Hi Sophia, 

You should be able to find some on Youtube. Greyscale Gorilla posted has some basic tutorials done by Chris Schmidt. EJ (eyedesign) has some on youtube as well. While many people these days prefer video tutorials I still believe it is helpful to read the manual. All Xpresso nodes are explained in the c4d help. In most cases you won't be needing all of them but knowing what is possible will help you with future projects as you will know where to look.