Sign in to follow this  
Petematul

Best File Format for Commercial Stills

Question

What is the best  release codec for stills rendered out of C4D for stock sale at places like Pond 5 and iShutter, etc. I've heard TIFF, but should that be 8 bit or higher?  Should it always include an alpha channel?  Since they're stills, I would imagine anti-aliasing can remain at "geometry" rather than "best."  

As far as motion, I've been offering my work in ProRes 4444 set to best anti-aliasing and only include an alpha when there is am optional background to remove.

In either case, I don't want to end up with crazy big files for the purists, when smaller files are perfectly acceptable to most -- so I never go out "Animation."

Edited by Cerbera
clarity

3 answers to this question

1. You should provide HQ lossless format version like TIFF or PNG, with alpha if the alpha would be helpful.

And also a LQ smaller file size format like Jpg (quality = max permissible in your image editor).

27 minutes ago, Petematul said:

Since they're stills, I would imagine anti-aliasing can remain at "geometry" rather than "best."  

2. No you'd be wrong there. AA needs to be set to best for ALL final renders unless they don't feature any materials.

CBR

Hi,

Best would be 32-bit TIFF with alpha, or 16-bit PNG with alpha, but probably no need to go to 32-bit images, so 16-bit TIFF/PNG would give you very good quality images.

Dane

• Inquirer
  • Thanks, guys.  Much appreciated!

CBR, why would I need to also render a smaller size format like JPEG?  One library that  has carried my work for years has never asked for that but I'm guessing that is something they do at their end since they are a premium "rights-managed" library and not a royalty-free micro-stock like Pond 5.  Is this something I will need to do for the micro-stocks?  I've never worked with the micro-stocks before so any help is appreciated.