Sign in to follow this  
Marcoselrecuerdo

help with the uv maps

Hello everyone, I have a problem and I would like you to support me, I am creating a job for the school of a truck and I have to create the uv map but at the moment of wanting to do it I get something super weird.

teriu.PNG

What have you done so far with the UV's. Have you made any adjustments to it? Does your object have a UVW tag?

• Topic Author
  • 6 minutes ago, Vilandra said:

What have you done so far with the UV's. Have you made any adjustments to it? Does your object have a UVW tag?

I have only activated the uv polygons and if it has a uvm tag

Captura34.PNG

1 minute ago, Marcoselrecuerdo said:

I have only activated the uv polygons and if it has a uvm tag

Ok. By default, the UV's are usually pretty messy. With most projects, you'll want to clear the UV's on the canvas and start new. The UV's in your project look pretty messy. Are you able to share the file?

Also, were you wanting to UV map the entire truck? Wheels and body?

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Vilandra said:

Ok. By default, the UV's are usually pretty messy. With most projects, you'll want to clear the UV's on the canvas and start new. The UV's in your project look pretty messy. Are you able to share the file?

Also, were you wanting to UV map the entire truck? Wheels and body?

It does not let me share by size, it weighs 22.7 mb and if I wanted to do the complete uv including the wheels

I just noticed that the wheels and truck are all one object. You might want to break it up into several objects before trying to edit the UVs.

Select all of the polygons for one wheel and then right click > Split. (This will create a new object for the wheel). Then delete the original polygons. Do this for all the wheels, and any other part that needs to be it's own object.

Separating the wheels from the body, and thus creating separate objects for the wheels and body, is a possibility. This way you then unwrap object per object, and each object then can have its own texture map. This can be useful when you would have quite a lot of parts to unwrap, and want to have details in your texture map. Since each part you unwrap does take up space on the UV canvas you would need a texture map with enough pixels to hold the details for all your parts.

Say we use the wheels as an example. Assuming you would keep the 4 wheels as a single object and unwrap each wheel so that these get placed on the UV canvas as 2 next to each other, and 2 above these (2 by 2). Assume you would want to texture a single wheel with a texture map of 512x512 to have the desired details in your final render. With your 2 by 2 unwrapped wheels, you would then require your texture map to have twice the number of pixels in width, and twice in height: 1024x1024.

Now, take this a step further and imagine all the parts having been unwrapped. To have the desired details on all your parts, you might need to have a texture map with 4096x4096 pixels ... or even more.

In such situation it would be more appropriate to separate the objects, so you can work with smaller texture maps per object, instead of one large texture for the single object. Depending your goal you might want to go one way or another. That is up to you to decide, as there isn't really a rule to follow.

If objects have the same geometry you might also decide to re-use the UVs from one wheel for all of them. By making the wheels separate objects, you might get away with unwrapping one wheel, and copying the UVW tag over to the other wheels. (which you can see done here in this video from 0:48 to 1:00).

This way you do not need to unwrap all wheels, but since each wheel is its own object, you can assign a different texture to every wheel, allowing for slight differences (dirt, mud, rust, ...).

If you want to keep the wheels a single object, you might want to "stack" their UVs, and thus only take up 1/4 of the UV space. However, this means all wheels will use the same texture map, and you thus cannot provide slight differences for dirt, mud, rust, etc ...

As said, your goal defines which way to go.