Sign in to follow this  
davorm

Looking into C4D subscription

I'm thinking of getting a C4D sub with Redshift, unfortunately my work is currently stuck in version 20 for the moment and will probably be like pulling teeth to update. I'm wondering if I was to buy a sub to be able to use at home, is there anything known that would cause an issue going between those two versions? I don't think the subscription is like Adobe's where I can go and download old versions if I want, but if it is let me know.

Generally you can swap files back and forth between R20 and R21. The biggest gotcha would be with spline-based generators like Extrude, Sweep, Loft. The changes to the Caps & Bevels in R21 will cause unpredictable results. Field forces and some volume aspects also won't translate backwards.

We do plan to offer access to older releases with subscription, but can only support it with releases that use the MyMaxon authentication - so R21 and onward. In other words, when the next release comes out R21 should still be available to subscribers, but unfortunately R20 currently isn't.

Cheers,

Rick

12 hours ago, RBarrett said:

We do plan to offer access to older releases with subscription, but can only support it with releases that use the MyMaxon authentication - so R21 and onward. In other words, when the next release comes out R21 should still be available to subscribers, but unfortunately R20 currently isn't.

"to subscribers" means owners of a Perpetual will not be able to access their old version (which is already installed)? So if I update to R22, I cannot open my R21 from that day on? Not to mention re-installing the R21 anywhere...?

Please note that there are many reasons to switch back to an older installation temporarily (from compatibility issues, to customer needs, to transfer of GUI or other settings).

On 2/14/2020 at 7:48 PM, davorm said:

I was to buy a sub to be able to use at home

If you have your own sub, would you not be able to download R21 to use at work and use your own login?

• Topic Author
  • 6 minutes ago, Freemorpheme said:

If you have your own sub, would you not be able to download R21 to use at work and use your own login?

Ah too much corporate red tape to deal with for that. The thing is we already have it, but what's keeping us from using it is that our render farm is a version of Windows that you can't install 21 on to. But our tech dept is researching into GPU renderer so that willl null the farm anyways... So long story long, just gotta wait it out till all the red tape has been cut up.

14 minutes ago, davorm said:

all the red tape has been cut up

Hear you there. I am still working on a 2013 imac without GPU as my IT department simply cannot understand why anyone would need any workstation that costs more than $1000. 

• Topic Author
  • Ouch! We're ok in the comp dept... For the most part. I do miss that IT didn't know how to work on macs so we had admin rights, but once we got PCs, the locked that down! It's just ball rolls mighty slow I'm a big company. We were actually I'm R18 till just this past year, even though we were paying yearly for new versions... Such fun!

1 hour ago, Freemorpheme said:

Hear you there. I am still working on a 2013 imac without GPU as my IT department simply cannot understand why anyone would need any workstation that costs more than $1000. 

Who do you work for?!   I've done that in the past and had to lay out a business case and need.    Problem was that they did it and all of a sudden I was tabled as the Guy who could handle ANY graphics rubbish for the entire company.