Sign in to follow this  
cendrick

Simple model shape

Hello,

I'm trying to model the head of this robot. It will also use the symmetry object so I'm only to make half of what you see. This is so simple in appearance but I can't for the life of me figure out how this is made. I can make something similar using a cylinder and extruding the edges to form the straight edge but then the model UV's are not the same as in the original. Any ideas on how this is made? The eyes are easy to make using a tube object.

Rick

152934587_ScreenShot2020-02-14at9_51_57PM.png.1557ba58b49ea2e07cb9b9e047411ad5.png

That head looks like it has been made with a spline in an Extrude Object, so hasn't really been modelled at all, hence the big ngons at the front and (presumably) back ! The good news is that this is very easy to make via regular polygon modelling, and the UVs can do what you tell them to do, you are not beholden to whatever state they end up in when you have finished modelling...

Here's how you could start that...

image.thumb.png.7b57027777822d2d3a904ce2f2338411.png

1. Get a Plane of roughly the dimensions above with 2 segments on Width (just 1 on height)... make editable with C.

2. Poly Mode, Delete the left side, hold Alt, and add Symmetry. Now grab the 2 outer corner vertices and bevel them with 6 points.

3. Get Line Cut and cut the panel into quads as shown.

4. Select all polys, and Extrude with caps to get the depth. Select the polys that comprise both end panels, Inner Extrude a small amount. Add 2 control loops close to either end using Loop Cut. This can now go under an SDS object for final smoothing.

Or you could do this as a hard surface model, where you just replace the second half of Step 4 with a bevel deformer in chamfer Mode...

CBR

UV Mapping also nice and easy but does require different mapping types for the end panels and the main body....

image.thumb.png.02377177711344fea5350747b4638022.png

So I made the symmetry editable, did Flat Projections for the caps, and selected a single edge loop of the body to define its seam. That got cylindrical projection and was relaxed with Cut Selected activated. Finally all UV polys were selected and realigned with island size equalisation, giving the result above.

Note: If you are using SDS with this model, then the Mode of that should be Set to Edge for the UVs to work properly.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

That head looks like it has been made with a spline in an Extrude Object, so hasn't really been modelled at all, hence the big ngons at the front and (presumably) back ! The good news is that this is very easy to make via regular polygon modelling, and the UVs can do what you tell them to do, you are not beholden to whatever state they end up in when you have finished modelling...

Here's how you could start that...

image.thumb.png.7b57027777822d2d3a904ce2f2338411.png

1. Get a Plane of roughly the dimensions above with 2 segments on Width (just 1 on height)... make editable with C.

2. Poly Mode, Delete the left side, hold Alt, and add Symmetry. Now grab the 2 outer corner vertices and bevel them with 6 points.

3. Get Line Cut and cut the panel into quads as shown.

4. Select all polys, and Extrude with caps to get the depth. Select the polys that comprise both end panels, Inner Extrude a small amount. Add 2 control loops close to either end using Loop Cut. This can now go under an SDS object for final smoothing.

Or you could do this as a hard surface model, where you just replace the second half of Step 4 with a bevel deformer in chamfer Mode...

CBR

Thank you for this explanation of how to do this. I believe I'm tracking with you up to where you do the extrude. After that the inner bevel is not working probably due to how I did my line cuts. I've attached a file showing my attempt.

robo-head-working-01.zip

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera

I believe I've got it now...:)

Thank you!

Robot-head-01.png

• Topic Author
  • Once put into the SDS I am seeing banding. Is there an easy fix to this or should I go back to the step before the extrude and increase the bevel points?

Thanks again for you advice.

Robot-head-02.png

You could use also modeling from sphere...

head_modeling.thumb.png.35388fcd7078dfb41c58a5c849fc6192.png

1, addd hexahedron sphere, rotate it if needed, adjust segment count as needed, convert to polygons

2, delete one half of sphere and with scale create disc, set object to world zero coords.

3, select right side of poly´s and move them with quantizing to the right, ddo the same with selected left side.

4, use extrude with enabled caps

5, with knife in loop mode add support edge loops on extruded edges

6, with disolve command delete few inner edge loops on front and back side. Select front border loop and with slide command in clone mode create support   edge loop in front side. Do the same for back side.

7, Add SDS. if needed, select top or bottom part of model and move up/down.

• Topic Author
  • @bezo

Thank you bezo for your ideas using a simple sphere. I'll give that a try as well.

I think I'm pretty good now on the geometry side of this. It's the UV's that are no fun.

• Topic Author
  • @Cerbera

I'm getting really close to your example. My UV's are not exactly like yours so I'm guessing my edge loops are not correct?

Here is what I'm getting which may work for this project but I would like to know how you were able to get yours so neat and 'PERFECT':)

Regards,

Rick

Robot-head-03.png

Hi Cendrick

Sorry - I was away on a work mission all yesterday....

Your UV looks different to mine in that you must have unwrapped it a different way because in my version there is only a single seam in the centre wrap portion of the UV so it remains a single UV island, whereas you may have used an auto-unwrap method which has split your wrap section into 4 islands and seem to have used cubic unwrapping which is not suitable for this shape, hence your distortion on the curved ends.

So, to fix this;

1. Pop to BP UV edit and in Poly Mode Select these polys...

image.thumb.png.6e584d32b4f7c317c7fb69d72e3b27bb.png

2. Now go to Edge Mode and Select just this edge loop.

image.thumb.png.aa9e019ac76eb4aaed807f9fd2c2ffa9.png

3. Now go back to Poly Mode, and get the Projection Tab of the UV commander. Do Frontal projection, which will initially look unhelpful, but isn't.

4. Next go to the Relax UV Tab, and set it up like below...

image.png.97b7f0e995f702ed2e052ac0cf1f78f2.png

5. Hit Apply twice to get this result.

image.thumb.png.92928e29cce4ab26d4142fa22373cc34.png

6. Last Step, go to UV Poly Mode, select everything, then find Optimal Mapping Tab, and give it these settings...

image.thumb.png.af8300c41fa653cf65b669ab1370b748.png

Hit apply and your result should look like mine...

CBR