Sign in to follow this  
Piotr Janowski

Spline Outline and extrude problem

Hi,
In my misearble attempts to learn c4d I came again across a problem that I could not find a solution online so far. Maybe someone can help me out.
I am following an old tutorial that was done in R16 but that should propably not matter because the tools used here are very basic.
So I recreating the tutors work by making an editable spline to create a frame for an arch window. 
1. spline editable.
2. Make outline
3. extrude

The original file shows the extrusion only on the frame but when I extrude it covers the whole object.
I have attached the scenes with two models. One is a copy paste from the tutorial files and the other is my attempt to recreate it. 
I am using R21 on 10.13.6 osx
Where do I make a mistake?
Thank You very much in advance
Piotr

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 18.08.24.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 18.08.35.png

ExtrudeProblem.zip

Your first spline has 80 points, second one just 10. First spline could have some disconnected segments, but you simply can not find and connect them manually, because 8 points share the same position...

spline_segments.thumb.png.b9eb508f8d69d8b2a1a32042996078ac.png

Hi!

Thank You for Your answer. You definetely have pointed for the reason why this extrusion is behaving like this. I still don't know where all the points got from.

I did again the same procedure and now it suddenly is ok.

I wish I knew what is causing this but I am very gratefull for Your answer. Thank You!

Piotr

Pls update your profile to the version you are actually using so that you don't confuse the people trying to help...

Just for your reference there is actually a huge difference between R16 and 17+ because in R17 we got a completely new spline pen. Perhaps some discrepancy between your tutorial and the new tools led to all your duplicate points ? Although I can't immediately see how they would have done...

I do have to minorly correct our good friend @bezo in fact we can isolate the duplicate points in your existing file because we can select a single point on a spline (visible only checked in the selection tool) and then do U,W (Select Connected) and press delete to remove a single copy of it. If we do that a few times eventually the whole spline will disappear, and you can undo once, to get it back and know you have just a single spline remaining there 

Or, monitoring the point count in the HUD will let you know how many times you need to do this...

CBR