Sign in to follow this  
Jerg

Connecting rigid body with soft body...

Hello everyone,

I am writing for the first time, so if I chose wrong topic, please direct me to the right one.

First of all, I wanna emphasise that I have beginner knowledge, and I hope that I am gonna find a solution to my problem here.

Basically I constructed a roll up banner stand and I want that banner to fall on a ground (collider) until it stops in its natural state.

I had a problem connecting rigid body (banner stand) to soft body (fabric banner). That's way I used connector (hinge - point connect) because I couldn't find better way to connect banner with stand. Now, everything seamed to work fine when I started animation until the banner stand hits the ground.

Then, unexpectedly banner stand loses rigidness and fabric banner crashes through surface of banner stand (rigid body).

Simply don't now what is happening here. It drives me crazy.

Please, could someone explain me where am I making mistake??

Is there a better way to connect soft body and rigid body (not collider)?

How could rigid body retain its shape and keep "colliding" soft body?

BIG THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Couple of details ::::

First picture shows model starting position before playing animation. 

768519249_Startposition.thumb.jpg.3dd3f361ac41b96a294bbef318ec5b67.jpg

Second picture shows paused animation and unexpected/unwanted result.

1838960029_Aproblem.thumb.jpg.1a4a99d3e93417871fb657bccba2e597.jpg

Third picture presents desired result.

2.thumb.jpg.1597ec7e1885a1ec5d32f2d2a85efb18.jpg

Welcome to the cafe 🙂

We could probably help here. Trouble is - we can't possibly know what is going wrong without the scene file. Pls upload it !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi, Cerbera!

Here is the scene file.

I appreciate your further effort! Thank you in advance!

Untitled_10.c4d

Ok, this is gonna be tricky to solve. The following is true about your scene.

- The cloth part has no real world thickness, which may confuse the collision calculations...

- Your Connectors ONLY connect the objects, but don't otherwise instruct them to avoid each other. or not intersect.

- The movement of the rigid body is quite extreme, in that it twists and turns a lot, which dynamics tends to struggle with.

Those things together combine to give you a setup in which you get the result you get ! I will have to have a think about the best way to avoid this, so will do that and get back to you. Dynamics aren't really my thing though, so will be most pleased if one of our dynamic experts like @jed could come along and find the answer quicker 🙂

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi @Cerbera,

First of all, thank you very much for your time, I really appreciate it.

Your thoughts helped me understand the issue more closely.

Also, thank you for pointing me to @jed. I'm eager to find out more.

Just to explain my determinations, working on this scene took me some time to make a decision which dynamics to use.

That's way I decided to skip cloth and cloth collider, believing to have more options with soft body;

especially in case of using several object with same behaviours in the same scene.

Then, I had to decide how to put them together, and my choice was Connector. 

Now, here might be an issue: Maybe I should have used Constraint to connect dynamics, or something else?!

I guess, like you said, there are several interconnections among parameters which are causing the unwanted issue, but I don't know precisely which ones.

It's not a rush, but really I hope that my issue will get resolved.

Thank you in advance!

7 minutes ago, Jerg said:

and my choice was Connector

That choice was most likely correct. of all the things in your setup, that is one I am least concerned about 🙂 But there are lots of different types of connectors and I do wonder if we shouldn't be anchoring a whole edge of the cloth part to a whole edge of the other bit rather than just connecting them at single points... in fact for that reason I do wonder if we actually do need the parts to be a single mesh, with the soft body (or not) properties defined by a vertex map or similar. But that in itself might be swapping one load of problems for a merely different set, so we should definitely wait for additional input from the guys before heading down that route...

CBR

@Cerbera I don't really dabble in soft bodies or cloth - you probably know more than me about that area of C4D.

45 minutes ago, jed said:

@Cerbera I don't really dabble in soft bodies or cloth - you probably know more than me about that area of C4D.

Fair enough - I just remember all those setups you post with rigid bodies and connectors 🙂

CBR