Sign in to follow this  
tarekm

How to modify an already rigged character?

Hey everyone, I have a 3d character that is already built, rigged and animated, I want to delete the mesh of his feet and replace that with a modeled boot i have. How can we do this? I deleted the mesh after enabling the skin, but when i play back the animation, the rig moves and the character remain Un-binded. 

Order of operation is very important in 3D software, and one of the first rules of that is that we don't change the mesh after animating or UVing it because doing so will instantly break both things ! You will need to UV and weight the whole rig again if you do this UNLESS you can find another way to make the boots follow the existing feet, which may be possible via various constraints and deformers etc. But not being a character animation expert myself I am not the best person to go into that in more detail...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks man! What you said is something i figured after a decent amount of time spent searching and trying several methods. Everything broke the rig, so what i remodeled the shoes to fit the initial foot modeled, and then binded the shoes to the rig again. 

Thank you very much