Sign in to follow this  
FMVorenkamp

Character Proxy Hell: $$$ Reward

If anyone can solve this issue for me, I’ll PayPal you $20 for the trouble.

I have a character that is rigged for animation. I have a high res and a low res version of the character.

The high res body and the low res body are both bound to the same joint chain. I want to animate with the low poly and switch on the high for renders.

The joint hierarchy is identical in the weight managers for both models.

The lo Poly version still has the auto mapped weights. This won’t do- I want the exact same weights from the high poly model.

I have exported the weights from the high poly in the weight manager. In notepad I can see the values are there in the exported file.

When I load them to the low poly, everything turns pink and the skin stops working.

I feel like I have tried everything and I simply cannot seem to transfer weights between these two nearly identical pieces of geometry rigged to the identical join hierarchy.

Please, please, please- what am I missing?

Note- I have tried using X-Refs, but despite both models being identical, whenever I enable dynamics on the tail, things go absolutely berserk. 

• Topic Author
  • Solved. 

The solution is very simple, and this is probably the easiest proxy workflow I've found for character animation. 

Use VAMP. Fiddle with the application options- I had to use the third option in there, and bam-- the weights transferred beautifully. Had to add a skin after manually.

Thanks for posting the answer 🙂

CBR

Never used VAMP. The way that I approach this and a lot of studios do is using Xrefs. As long as you low poly and high poly have the same joint names and controller names and joints you should be fine.

So what you do is Xref your low poly version into your scene, animate it and then when ready swap it out for the high poly version. This will test how close your two models are and you might need to tweak the high poly version.

The only thing with Xrefs that I would be wary of is using Team Render - they don't work with that. Also in the Xrefs options make sure that you check that Modify Parameters is ticked then you can use pose morphs 🙂

Whoops missed the bit where you said that you had tried Xrefs. Should still work though if you enable modify parameters 🙂

• Topic Author
  • I tried for weeks with X-Refs. Every single time, despite checking and re-checking both models for inconsistencies, it would cause explosive issues with the dynamics. I wanted it to work so badly, because it seemed to be a very elegant solution- and more so, from all of my study the defacto pro method. I tried and tried, but I kept running into bizarre issues. Y

VAMP was able to transfer the weights 1:1. It's perfect. Zero issues. The dynamics, even jiggle deformers are perfectly accurate across the low poly and high poly versions. Additionally, I love that I can just turn the high resolution copy off in the object manager instead of dealing with an external reference. 

Of course, *anything* I do in terms of changes to the materials, dynamics, and maps is able to be applied and animated. X-Refs greys out those options for me.

It definitely might be a solution to try in your next project. I'm really glad it worked out this way.

• Topic Author
  • I would like to add-- the fact that the weight manager seems wholly ineffective when it comes to loading pre-saved weight maps is baffling to me. 

7 hours ago, FMVorenkamp said:

Of course, *anything* I do in terms of changes to the materials, dynamics, and maps is able to be applied and animated. X-Refs greys out those options for me.

That's cos you didn't turn on Options>Modify>Parameters in the Xrefs options box 🙂

7 hours ago, FMVorenkamp said:

I would like to add-- the fact that the weight manager seems wholly ineffective when it comes to loading pre-saved weight maps is baffling to me. 

Yes I agree. I am not overly struck on the weight manager for transferring weight maps seems a bit unreliable, was better in R19.

I wish MAXON would spend a bit of time on the character tools again, not adding to them but fixing the bugs. Especially the the parent constraint - it is a right royal pain and my pet hate!

You could also simply transfer the animation using motion clips. Animate low poly chain. Create motion Clip from Animation menue. Load in high poly with same rig structure. Copy motion clip tag over to the high res joint chain. Done. It is a 5 seconds step.