Sign in to follow this  
kweso

New PC graphics card decision

Hey there,
sitting in Germany on a budget of around 2500€ I have to decide components for a new C4D-Redshift-machine.
I was thinking about:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700 or 3800
MSI 570 Mainboard
64 to 128 GB DDR4 3000
Powersupply around 750W
And either 2x 2070 Super or 1x 2080Ti

so what do you thing about the config in general and the two possibilites for the graphics card(s) in particular?
Thank you very much!
kws

The last 2 MSI mainboards I bought (3 years apart) were both dead on arrival, so I have reason to suspect their Quality control ! Having said that, the replacements I was sent were both fine and remained so for that computer's entire life cycle...

You should get faster RAM than that if you can afford it - some of the speed / functionality in a Ryzen is apparently conditional on that. I went with 3200, which seemed to me to have the best bang-for-buck ratio. 64GB RAM will probably be enough, so maybe consider filling 2 of your 4 slots with 32GB chips, and leaving 2 free for if you do need more later ?

That PSU will be easily enough to run 1 GPU, but 2 might be stressing it a bit... I might be tempted to go up to 850+ watt if I was running 2 2070 Supers.

And so to GPU choices... I think 2 2070S will give you a lot more bang for buck than a single 2080 will do, more CUDA cores overall and of course give you double the GPU memory of the 2080 base model, so I'd do that. 

CBR

Thanks for the detailed reply!

will consider all that.

750watts for those 2 gpus will likely work but is cutting it close. As already mentioned, bump another 100 watts to be on the safe side.

On the gpu memory, keep in mind the memory wont stack in most cases. The 2070 supers have 8gb, that doesnt mean you get the capacity of 16gb though. The 2080ti however has 11gb of usable memory. the NV link is supposed to do this but it is another point of gpu instability.

The 1080ti will also be very usable many years from now. The 2070 will become less worthwhile much quicker.

For an idea of speed, 2x 2070super are around  30% faster than a single 2080ti.

Personally, I would still be more tempted to pick the single faster card rather than watering the system down. This would leave capacity for adding another card in the future.

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I have the same sort of situation. I have a Threadripper 1920, a MSI board with four double spaced GPU slots, two 980ti GPUs and an 850w PSU.

Now I have just started to do more Redshift rendering and want to increase the GPU power so I was originally going to buy two 2080ti to replace the 980ti but that is a bit expensive. So then I thought just get one 2080ti and change the power supply to 1200w which would be cheaper and give the same speed even if the RAM is less. I can always change the 980ti later on.

I was going to get a blower card because the overheating worried me and I have no idea about water-cooling. I have an Obsidian 750 case which is very roomy with three 140mm fans (two at the front, one at the back) so quite good airflow. At the moment when rendering my 980ti don't normally go past 70 degrees.

Any tips?

Thx guys for all the insight.
I went to a local it-solutions-provider with my desired specs (because we need quick support and replacements when working on urgent projects). Those guys just told me that a Ryzen could not handle two 2070s to their full potential because it provides only 16 PCIe-lanes and this is the amount already a single 2070 would need. So he told me to switch to a Threadripper or reduce the config to just one graphics card.

Do you guys now about that stuff? What do you think?
Thx!
kws

Kweso

Threadrippers are better option for multiple GPUs since they do use more lanes (64 I believe) which is why I went for one apart from the price. If you do more modelling and animating then the fastest CPU is a better option in which case an Intel at the moment although a Ryzen 9 is catching up. Head on over to this website which will give you a lot of help on the techy side of things:

https://www.cgdirector.com/

Thank you very much for the link and the tips!

No problem Kweso! What I like about this website is that it doesn't waffle on and give you the best options for the type of work or software that you use. You can also ask Alex question and he is very helpful 🙂

One more thing that is not so clear to me: Do I need SLI or NVLink for using dual GPUs for Redshift or Octane?

TYVM!

EDIT: My potential config: https://www.alternate.de/html/configurator/builder/loadSharedConfiguration.html?kind=pcBuilder&id=484f44a515fd718a545c47de3c93b158